Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
The VCDC is the sponsor for Free Fridays at the National Music Museum throughout the month of May. Wind down after a busy week by touring the galleries of this amazing museum, located here in our own community.
Vermillion Public Library dedication and ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held Saturday, June 1, at 2 p.m. followed by a tour of the library after the ceremony. The public is invited to come and see the addition and wonderful new features of the library. Sen. Tim Johnson will be in attendance.
The Vermillion Area Chamber and Development Company (VCDC) Annual Golf Social is Monday, June 24. The 4-Person Best Ball Scramble Golf Tournament will begin with team sign-in at The Bluffs Golf Course at 11:45 a.m., followed by team pictures. The open format shot gun start will begin at 1 p.m. The buffet dinner will be served at 6 p.m. followed by the golf awards and door prizes. Call the VCDC office at 624-5571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to register your team, be a hole sponsor, or donate a pin or door prize. Please register soon.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at: email@example.com or at 624-5571.
Heartland Humane Society offers May special: Adopt Two Pets for the Price of One. Consider it a “buy one, get one” special during the month of May as approved adopters can adopt two pets and only pay one adoption fee.
“We are offering this special pricing for these pets so more families can add the charm of animals to their lives,” said Kerry Schmidt, executive director for HHS.
Anyone interested in adopting is encouraged to fill out an adoption application prior to selecting a pet. For more information on the adoption process or to view our available pets stop by the shelter at 601 ½ Burleigh Street or go online at www.heartlandhumanesociety.net. Currently 33 cats and 8 dogs will be available for adoption during this event. For additional information, call (605) 664-4244.
Throughout the month of May, the Vermillion Public Library is hosting Let’s Move South Dakota, a traveling hands-on exhibit that will inspire children and families to get active, eat healthy and feel good. Six interactive stations highlight healthy habits so kids and families can learn and have fun at the same time. The stations are based on the action steps of the Let’s Move initiative started by First Lady Michelle Obama. Families can work on earning the Presidential Active Lifestyle Award plus by keeping an exercise log for six weeks.
Exhibit coordinator Anne Lewis said, “Our goal is for families to leave the exhibit with a renewed excitement about getting active and eating healthy foods.”
The exhibit will be at the library until May 29. The exhibit was brought to Vermillion by the library and a grant from Wal-Mart.
Don’t miss Spectacular Saturday in Vermillion. The following events are planned for a fun and busy day:
- Discovery Days in historic Downtown Vermillion from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. On Main Street from Market to Center streets there will be retail specials, food specials and family/kid games/events.
- Rhubarb Days: Contests, prizes, games, quilt display at W.H. Over Museum from 10-11:30 a.m. South Dakota Magazine has dubbed free event the “Pucker Party.”
- Second annual Taste and Tour in downtown Vermillion will showcase a dozen businesses and raise funds for the paws at Heartland Humane Society from 6:30-10:30 p.m. Tickets go on sale soon and can be purchased at the shelter, Vermillion Chamber, or Nook ‘n Cranny in Vermillion. Food, beverages, sale items and much more. Each location offers a chance to win a raffle prize. For a full list of what is happening, check out the events tab at www.heartlandhumanesociety.net
June’s Free Friday Sponsor at the National Music Museum (NMM) will be First Dakota National Bank. The NMM is located on The University of South Dakota campus, corner of Clark and Yale Streets. Hours: Monday-Wednesday and Saturday 9-5 p.m. Thursday and Friday 9 a.m.-8 p.m. (during the summer). Sunday 2-5 p.m.
SATURDAY, JUNE 1
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- Bikes and Babes Rally4Miracles. A motorcycle-themed event for the entire family. Proceeds benefit Children’s Miracle Network. Pre-register online: https://www.sanfordhealth.org/forms/bikesbabes or on June 1 from 9-10 a.m. at Vermillion Wal-Mart. Ride leaves at 10 a.m. Registration is $25-includes T-shirt, poker card and hand, chance for door prizes and admission to the Argus Leader RibFest.
MONDAY, JUNE 3
- National Music Museum to offer “Summer Explorer Series” to introduce children to the instruments in the collection, June 3-6 for students entering the fourth through sixth grade this fall. For additional information/registration form, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 677-5306.
- Summer Food Service Program through Friday, Aug. 2 from 11 a.m. -1 p.m. Closed July 4, 5. Location: Jolley Elementary, 224 S. University. Free lunch service for area children 18 years and under. For additional information call 677-7000.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, JUNE 4
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
THURSDAY, JUNE 6
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at the Clay County Fairgrounds from 3-7 p.m. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Vermillion Lions Club meeting at 6 p.m., W. H. Over Museum in Sletwold Hall.
- Dollar-A-Day Boys: A Musical Tribute to the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), 6:30 p.m. at Vermillion Public Library Community Room. Web site: vermillionpubliclibrary.org. Bill Jamerson has been researching the CCC since 1992. His programs have been described as a cross between a book talk and a music concert.
- JUNE 8 – Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- JUNE 8 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- JUNE 8 – Gayville Hall’s musical variety show features “The Hay Country Jamboree” starring Dan Kilbride, Good People, Danny Santos with Wes Green at 8 p.m., Gayville, 502 Washington St. For reservations, call (605) 267-2859.
- JUNE 9 – East River and Missouri Valley Bluegrass Music Association to feature “Monthly Open Jam,” (second Sunday of each month), from 1-6 p.m. at Washington St. Arts Center, 202 Washington St. All levels welcome-open to pickers and listeners. Event is free and open to the public. For more information, call (877) 621-4118.
- JUNE 13 – An evening of Bluegrass Music with David Davis and the Warrior River Boys at 7 p.m. at the Washington Street Arts Center, 202 N. Washington St. in Vermillion. $10 for advance tickets or $12 at the door. Call for advance tickets at (877) a621-4118. Sponsored by The East River and Missouri Valley Bluegrass Music Association and the Vermillion Area Arts Council.
- JUNE 15 – Come to the Country for the Westreville Festival Fun Run to be held at the Pleasant Valley Church located at 45918 308th St., Vermillion. The event will kick off at 9 a.m. with a 5K or 10K run, bike or walk. Entry fee includes a T-shirt, pie and refreshments. Participants can also take the “Historic Cemetery Walk” to the Pleasant Valley and Mortvedt cemeteries. Free kids events will begin at 9:30 a.m. The Pleasant Valley ladies will again be providing coffee, pies and other sweets beginning at 9 a.m. in the church basement. Fund raiser for the Irene-Wakonda Scholarship Fund in honor of the Eckert Children and for the Westreville Historical Marker. Contact Grace Freeman at: (605) 670-0540, email@example.com or visit westrevillefestival.wordpress.com.
- JUNE 15 – H-WORTH OPEN Memorial Golf Tournament at The Bluffs, 18-hole, four-person scramble starting at 1 p.m. BBQ will be hosted at Bunyan’s starting at 6 p.m. along with a firework display choreographed with music by Fireworks Unlimited at sundown.
- JUNE 20 – The annual Clay County Historical Society ice cream social will be held today. This year’s social will be at the Eagles. Serving begins at 5 p.m. Taverns, chips, homemade pies and cakes, ice cream, lemonade or coffee. Free-will donation of $6 is requested. John McNeil will be the featured entertainment and the Summer Theater will present a short program. Everyone is welcome.
- JUNE 21 – Dalesburg Midsummer Festival at Dalesburg Lutheran Church. The annual celebration of Scandinavian and rural heritage includes a Smorgasbord supper from 4:30-6:30 p.m., musical performances and more. Afternoon program begins at 2 p.m. with Bjarv (three guys from Sweden on keyed-harp, fiddle and guitar), Viking Invasion from 3-7 p.m. and “Fiddler Nelson” at 5 p.m. Evening program begins at 7 p.m. with Sioux Valley Singers and Bjarv and raising of the Midsommar Pole. Visitors welcome – bring lawn chairs. For more information or to purchase smorgasbord tickets call (605) 253-2575 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.