Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
The Vermillion Area Chamber and Development Company (VCDC) Annual Golf Social is Monday, June 24. The Four-Person Best Ball Scramble Golf Tournament will begin with team sign-in at The Bluffs Golf Course at 11:45 a.m., followed by team pictures. The open format shot gun start will begin at 1 p.m. The buffet dinner will be served at 6 p.m. followed by the golf awards and door prizes. Please call the VCDC office at 624-5571 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to register your team, be a hole sponsor, or donate a pin or door prize. Please register soon.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Ann at email@example.com or at 624-5571.
Main Street Matters campaign launched by Benjamin Moore to help revitalize and repaint 20 cities and towns across North America. Consumers around the country are asked to cast their vote online for which 20 Main Streets should be revitalized of the more than 100 North American cities (including Vermillion) nominated at www.paintwhatmatters.com.
Winning communities will receive paint and supplies needed for facades, porches, railings and other exterior building trims along with advice and help from Benjamin Moore color experts and skilled professional painters. Vote once per day until 11:59 p.m. EST on June 30, when voting ends.
The final list of Main Streets and towns to be repainted will be posted on www.paintwhatmatters.com in July.
Heartland Humane Society offers adorable cats ready to go home with you during “9 Lives for $9” Adoption Event” now through Saturday, June 29. Participation in the event allows the shelter a chance at a $1,000 grant from Best Friends Animal Society. The event includes all kittens and cats age nine months and older available for adoption at Heartland.
View the available animals at www.heartlandhumanesociety.net or stop by the shelter at 601 ½ Burleigh Street in Yankton.
Schmidt said kittens will also be adopted during this event at a reduced $25 fee. Normal fees for adoptions range from $50 to $60.
Summer Food Service Program through Friday, Aug. 2 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Closed July 4-5. Location: Jolley Elementary, 224 S. University. Free lunch service for area children 18 years and under. For additional information call 677-7000.
Special exhibition: “The Shapes of Sound: Hearing with Your Eyes,” through Sept. 3 at the National Music Museum, Arne B. Larson Concert Hall, located on USD campus.
USD Career and Graduate School Fair, Thursday, Oct. 24, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Muenster University Center. To register, visit www.usd.edu/advising/career-and-graduate-school-fair.cfm. Sponsored by the Academic and Career Planning Center.
For additional information, contact Heather Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (605) 677-5381.
FRIDAY, JUNE 21
- Dalesburg Midsummer Festival at Dalesburg Lutheran Church. The annual celebration of Scandinavian and rural heritage includes a Smorgasbord supper from 4:30-6:30 p.m., musical performances and more. Afternoon program begins at 2 p.m. with Bjarv (three guys from Sweden on keyed-harp, fiddle and guitar), Viking Invasion from 3-7 p.m. and “Fiddler Nelson” at 5 p.m. Evening program begins at 7 p.m. with Sioux Valley Singers and Bjarv and raising of the Midsommar Pole. Visitors welcome, bring lawn chairs. For more information or to purchase smorgasbord tickets, call (605) 253-2575 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Vermillion Community Theatre in conjunction with Dakota Players, presents the delightful children’s musical: “X is for Zebra” at the Vermillion High School Performing Arts Center at 7 p.m. Tickets are $5 for those over the age of 5 and are available at the door.
SATURDAY, JUNE 22
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- St. Agnes School’s Annual Golf Outing will be held at The Bluffs Golf Course. The four-person Best Ball Scramble will begin with team sign-in at 11:45 a.m. and the open format shotgun start at 1 p.m. Dinner will be served following golf at The Roadhouse at 6 p.m., golf awards and prizes will follow. Please contact The Bluffs to register your team, 677-7058.
MONDAY, JUNE 24
- Support group meeting for caregivers of loved ones with Alzheimer’s or memory loss at 7 p.m. at Vermillion Public Library.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, JUNE 25
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 26
- Open House and Kick-Off Celebration at The Equalizer/PrintSource, 121 E. Cherry St., from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Everyone is welcome to join us in our celebration as we introduce the collaboration between The Equalizer and Mark Winegar, the creator of Yote.Biz, an on-line mobile business directory. Please join us for a free lunch, catered by HyVee, between 11:30 and 1 and find out what Yote.Biz is all about. We’ll also have lots of other great marketing ideas for your business from The Equalizer and PrintSource.
THURSDAY, JUNE 27
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at the Clay County Fairgrounds from 3-7 p.m. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- JUNE 29 – Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- JUNE 29 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- JUNE 29 – Yankton’s Dogs ‘R’ Us 4-H group host their first Pet Palooza at the 4H Fairgrounds from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. The event replaces Heartland Humane Society’s Animal Fair traditionally held in May. The event will include a registration booth to join the 4-H Club, a Meet ‘n’ Greet booth with available pets from Heartland Humane Society, fingerprinting for youth, a petting zoo, agility courses, guest appearances by the Yankton Police K-9 unit and a pet contest at 11:30 a.m. 4-H animals on site will include dogs, kittens, lambs, piglets, donkeys, and more. Lunch for a nominal fee will be provided by Yankton County 4-H. All vaccinated pets are welcome on leash. The event is free to public.
- JULY 9 – Vermillion Community Blood Drive sponsored by Sanford Vermillion, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. and 2:30-6 p.m. Free all American T-shirt and lunch to all who donate. Must be at least 17 years old. Call Sanford Vermillion for additional information at 624-2611. Walk-ins welcome.
- JULY 11 – “Thursdays on the Platz” in downtown Vermillion at the corner of Main and Market. Enjoy live music and food, bring the family. More information to follow soon.
- JULY 11 – Douglas Roegiers from Burbank and Vermillion to sing and compete on NBC TV’s new talent show, “The Winner Is…” Doug will be one of six competitors when NBC presents the first of eight shows at 8 p.m. Doug, the son of Chuck and Rosie Roegiers of Burbank, is a crooner living in North Hollywood, CA.
- JULY 15 – Eighth Annual Sheri Ellis Memorial Golf Social at The Bluffs Golf Course. 1 p.m. shotgun start. Eighteen-hole, four-person scramble $50 per person paid in advance; $60 day of event. Includes golf, dinner and prizes. Sponsored by Sanford Vermillion and Dakota Hospital Foundation. To register, call Jill at (605) 638-8465
- JULY 19-22 – Vermillion Community Theatre presents the original musical “Robin Hood, Spirit of the Greene” at the Vermillion High School Performing Arts Center. Friday, Saturday, and Monday performances at 7 p.m. with a Sunday matinee at 2:30 p.m. Visit vermillioncommunitytheatre.org, for additional information.
- JULY 25 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 West Cherry St. from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, July 24.
- AUG. 12 – Sixth annual Hy-Vee Scramble for SESDAC at The Bluff’s Golf Course. Sign-in and team photos from noon-12:45 p.m. and shotgun start at 1 p.m. Prime Rib Dinner and program to follow. Tickets are available for dinner for non-golfers. For registration and information please contact The Bluffs Golf Course at (605) 677-7058. Get your team signed up early as this one fills up fast.
- AUG. 24-25 – Join us for the 2013 Bullarama at Clay County Park Rodeo Arena unless otherwise noted. Call Linda Hawley at 202-0194 with questions or visit www.Bullarama.org.