Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
“Main Street Matters” campaign launched by Benjamin Moore to help revitalize and repaint 20 cities and towns across North America. Consumers around the country are asked to cast their vote online for which 20 main streets should be revitalized of the more than 100 North American cities (including Vermillion) nominated at www.paintwhatmatters.com.
Winning communities will receive paint and supplies needed for facades, porches, railings, and other exterior building trims along with advice and help from Benjamin Moore color experts and skilled professional painters. Vote once per day until 11:59 p.m. EST on June 30, 2013, when voting ends.
The final list of Main Streets and towns to be repainted will be posted on www.paintwhatmatters.com in July.
Heartland Humane Society offers adorable cats ready to go home with you during “9 Lives for $9” adoption event now through Saturday, June 29. Participation in the event allows the shelter a chance at a $1,000 grant from Best Friends Animal Society. The event includes all kittens and cats age nine months and older available for adoption at Heartland.
View the available animals at www.heartlandhumanesociety.net or stop by the shelter at 601 ½ Burleigh Street in Yankton.
Schmidt said kittens will also be adopted during this event at a reduced $25 fee. Normal fees for adoptions range from $50 to $60.
Mentors needed: The Clay-Union Foundation matches youth age 5-17 years old with qualified and screened adult volunteers. There are two boys and two girls to match in Elk Point, and two girls in Vermillion. Volunteers must be 18 or older and have a car. Contact John Gille at email@example.com or call (605) 421-5050 to become a volunteer.
Summer Food Service Program through Friday, Aug. 2 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Closed July 4-5. Location: Jolley Elementary, 224 S. University. Free lunch service for area children 18 years and under. For additional information call 677-7000.
Special exhibition, “The Shapes of Sound: Hearing with Your Eyes,” through Sept. 3 at the National Music Museum, Arne B. Larson Concert Hall located on USD campus.
USD Career and Graduate School Fair, Thursday, Oct. 24, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Muenster University Center. To register, visit www.usd.edu/advising/career-and-graduate-school-fair.cfm. Sponsored by the Academic and Career Planning Center.
For additional information, contact Heather Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (605) 677-5381.
SATURDAY, JUNE 29
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main St., 9 a.m.-noon. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- Yankton’s Dogs ‘R’ Us 4-H group host their first Pet Palooza at the 4H Fairgrounds from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. The event replaces Heartland Humane Society’s Animal Fair traditionally held in May. The event will include a registration booth to join the 4-H Club, a Meet ‘n’ Greet booth with available pets from Heartland Humane Society, fingerprinting for youth, a petting zoo, agility courses, guest appearances by the Yankton Police K-9 unit and a pet contest at 11:30 a.m. 4-H animals on site will include dogs, kittens, lambs, piglets, donkeys and more. Lunch for a nominal fee will be provided by Yankton County 4-H. All vaccinated pets are welcome on leash. The event is free to public.
MONDAY, JULY 1
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, JULY 2
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
THURSDAY, JULY 4
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at the Clay County Fairgrounds from 3-7 p.m. Special activities for kids including games, prizes and more. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- JULY 6 – Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- JULY 6 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- JULY 6 – Gayville Hall’s musical variety show featuring “The Hay Country Jamboree” at 8 p.m., Gayville, SD, 502 Washington St. For reservations, call (605) 267-2859.
- JULY 9 – Vermillion Community Blood Drive sponsored by Sanford Vermillion, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. and 2:30-6 p.m. Free all American T-shirt and lunch to all who donate. Must be at least 17 years old. Call Sanford Vermillion for additional information at 624-2611. Walk-ins welcome.
- JULY 10 – Ice Cream Social at Pleasant Valley Lutheran Church from 5-7:30 p.m. Serving taverns, ham sandwiches, pie and ice cream. Location: 45918 308th St., rural Vermillion. Free-will donations.
- JULY 11 – “Thursdays on the Platz” in downtown Vermillion, corner of Main and Market. Enjoy live music and food – bring the family. More information to follow soon.
- JULY 11 – Douglas Roegiers from Burbank and Vermillion will sing and compete on NBC TV’s new talent show, “The Winner Is.” Doug will be one of six competitors when NBC presents the first of eight shows at 8 p.m. Doug, the son of Chuck and Rosie Roegiers of Burbank, is a crooner living in North Hollywood, CA.
- JULY 14 – East River and Missouri Valley Bluegrass Music Association to feature “Monthly Open Jam” (second Sunday of each month) from 1-6 p.m. at WashingtonStreet Arts Center, 202 Washington St. All levels welcome, open to pickers and listeners. Event is free and open to the public. For more information, call: 1-877-621-4118 (toll free).
- JULY 15 – Eighth Annual Sheri Ellis Memorial Golf Social at The Bluffs Golf Course. 1 p.m. shotgun start. 18-hole, four-person scramble $50 per person paid in advance; $60 day of event. Includes golf, dinner and prizes. Sponsored by Sanford Vermillion and Dakota Hospital Foundation. To register, call Jill at (605) 638-8465.
- JULY 16 – Ice Cream Social at Trinity Lutheran Church (Fellowship Hall) from 5-7 p.m. Location: 816 E. Clark St.
- JULY 17 – Dakota Classic Cruisers car club will bring their annual car show, Tri State Drive In Cruisers, to downtown Vermillion beginning at 5 p.m. This drive in cruise brings many Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota visitors to our community and provides a great opportunity for Vermillion merchants to showcase their businesses and enjoy additional sales. Main Street will be closed from Bank of the West entrance to Prospect Street and a half-block south on Court Street and north on Center Street. Come on out to enjoy the classic cars and help us roll out the red carpet to welcome visitors to our community.
- JULY 19-22 – Vermillion Community Theatre presents the original musical “Robin Hood, Spirit of the Greene” Friday, July 19-22 at the Vermillion High School Performing Arts Center. Friday, Saturday, and Monday performances at 7 p.m. with a Sunday matinee at 2:30 p.m. Visit vermillioncommunitytheatre.org for additional information.
- JULY 25 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 West Cherry Street, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, July 24.
- AUG. 12 – Sixth annual Hy-Vee Scramble for SESDAC at The Bluff’s Golf Course, Monday, Aug. 12. Sign-in and team photos from noon-12:45p.m. and shotgun start at 1 p.m. Prime Rib Dinner and program to follow. Tickets are available for dinner for non-golfers. For registration and information please contact The Bluffs Golf Course at (605) 677-7058. Get your team signed up early as this one fills up fast.
- AUG. 24-25 – Join us for the 2013 Bullarama at Clay County Park Rodeo Arena unless otherwise noted. For more information, visit www.Bullarama.org. Call Linda Hawley at 202-0194 with questions.