Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
New event at Ribs, Rods & Rock ‘n Roll Sept. 6-7. Backyard barbeque – BBQ locals and amateurs, come test your skills and challenge your neighbor at this friendly competition cooking chicken and ribs – $50 entry. Go to www.sdbbq.us for details and entry forms.
The Vermillion Area Community Foundation is accepting proposals for projects to improve our community. Forms for submitting proposals by groups or organizations are available at the Chamber of Commerce office. While funds available are limited we can fully fund small one-time requests or partially fund larger projects. Your annual donations to our Foundation will provide us with increasing funds each year for worthwhile projects.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at email@example.com or at 624-5571.
Mentors needed: The Clay-Union Foundation matches youth age 5-17 years old with qualified and screened adult volunteers. There are two boys and two girls to match in Elk Point, and two girls in Vermillion. Volunteers must be 18 or older and have a car. Contact John Gille at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (605) 421-5050 to become a volunteer.
Summer Food Service Program through Friday, Aug. 2 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Closed July 4-5. Location: Jolley Elementary, 224 S. University. Free lunch service for area children 18 years and under. For additional information, call 677-7000.
Special exhibition “The Shapes of Sound: Hearing with Your Eyes,” through Sept. 3 at the National Music Museum, Arne B. Larson Concert Hall located on USD campus.
USD Career & Graduate School Fair, Thursday, Oct. 24, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Muenster University Center. To register, visit www.usd.edu/advising/career-and-graduate-school-fair.cfm. Sponsored by the Academic & Career Planning Center. For additional information, contact Heather Johnson at email@example.com or (605) 677-5381.
SATURDAY, JULY 6
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main St., 9 a.m.-noon. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- Frogman’s Print Workshop Gallery “Crawl.” Festivities will begin at the WH Over Museum at 7 p.m. with refreshments and hors d’oeuvres.
- Gayville Hall’s musical variety show featuring “The Hay Country Jamboree” at 8 p.m., Gayville, SD, 502 Washington St. For reservations, call (605) 267-2859.
MONDAY, JULY 8
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, JULY 9
- Vermillion Community Blood Drive sponsored by Sanford Vermillion, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. and 2:30-6 p.m. Free All-American T-shirt and lunch to all who donate. Must be at least 17 years old. Call Sanford Vermillion for additional information, 624-2611. Walk-ins welcome.
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 10
- Ice Cream Social at Pleasant Valley Lutheran Church from 5-7:30 p.m. Serving taverns, ham sandwiches, pie and ice cream. Location: 45918 308th St., rural Vermillion. Free-will donations.
THURSDAY, JULY 11
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at the Clay County Fairgrounds from 3-7 p.m. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- “Thursdays on the Platz” in downtown Vermillion, corner of Main and Market, 6-8 p.m. Enjoy food provided by Ribs, Rods & Rock ‘n Roll (free pork sandwiches) and live music featuring Shawn Coles. Sponsored by Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Co. Bring the family.
- Douglas Roegiers from Burbank and Vermillion to sing and compete on NBC TV’s new talent show, “The Winner Is.” Doug will be one of six competitors when NBC presents the first of eight shows at 8 p.m. (C). Doug, the son of Chuck and Rosie Roegiers of Burbank, is a crooner living in North Hollywood, CA.
- JULY 13 – Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main St., 9 a.m.-noon. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- JULY 13 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- JULY 14 – East River & Missouri Valley Bluegrass Music Association to feature “Monthly Open Jam,” (second Sunday of each month) from 1-6 p.m. at Washington St. Arts Center, 202 Washington St. All levels welcome-open to pickers and listeners. Event is free and open to the public. For more information, call (877) 621-4118.
- JULY 15 – Eighth Annual Sheri Ellis Memorial Golf Social at The Bluffs Golf Course. 1 p.m. shotgun start. 18-hole, four-person scramble $50 per person paid in advance; $60 day of event. Includes golf, dinner and prizes. Sponsored by Sanford Vermillion and Dakota Hospital Foundation. To register, call Jill at (605) 638-8465.
- JULY 16 – Ice Cream Social at Trinity Lutheran Church (Fellowship Hall) from 5 p.m.-7 p.m. Location: 816 E. Clark St.
- JULY 17 – Dakota Classic Cruisers car club will bring their annual car show, Tri-State Drive In Cruisers, to downtown Vermillion beginning at 5 p.m. This drive in cruise brings many Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota visitors to our community and provides a great opportunity for Vermillion merchants to showcase their businesses and enjoy additional sales. Main Street will be closed from Bank of the West entrance to Prospect St. and a half-block south on Court Street and north on Center Street. Come on out to enjoy the classic cars and help us roll out the red carpet to welcome visitors to our community.
- JULY 19-22 – Vermillion Community Theatre presents the original musical “Robin Hood, Spirit of the Greene” Friday, July 19-22 at the Vermillion High School Performing Arts Center. Friday, Saturday, and Monday performances at 7 p.m. with a Sunday matinee at 2:30 p.m. Visit vermillioncommunitytheatre.org for additional information.
- JULY 20 – Ninth Annual Heritage Music Fest, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Enjoy live music at Elk Point Jefferson School gym, 402 S. Douglas. Free will donations with proceeds benefitting Elk Point Masonic Lodge, High School Scholarship and Child Identification Programs. Bring lawn chairs. Mason roast beef dinner at 5 p.m. Concessions and baked items. For more information, call Elaine Peacock at (605) 356-2069 or Don Gray at (605) 356-2243.
- JULY 25 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 W. Cherry Street, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, July 24.
- AUG. 12 – Sixth annual Hy-Vee Scramble for SESDAC at The Bluff’s Golf Course. Sign-in and team photos from noon-12:45p.m. and shotgun start at 1 p.m. Prime Rib Dinner and program to follow. Tickets are available for dinner for non-golfers. For registration and information please contact The Bluffs Golf Course at (605) 677-7058. Get your team signed up early as this one fills up fast.
- AUG. 24-25 – Join us for the 2013 Bullarama Aug. 24 and 25 at Clay County Park Rodeo Arena unless otherwise noted. For more information, visit www.Bullarama.org. Call Linda Hawley at (202) 0194 with questions.