Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
New event at Ribs, Rods and Rock ‘n Roll September 6-7. Backyard barbeque – BBQ locals and amateurs, come test your skills and challenge your neighbor at this friendly competition cooking chicken and ribs – $50 entry. Go to www.sdbbq.us for details and entry forms. Don’t delay.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Ann at email@example.com or at 624-5571.
Summer Food Service Program through Friday, Aug. 2 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at Jolley Elementary, 224 S. University. Free lunch service for area children 18 years and under. For additional information, call 677-7000.
Special exhibition “The Shapes of Sound: Hearing with Your Eyes,” through Sept. 3 at the National Music Museum, Arne B. Larson Concert Hall located on USD campus.
USD Career and Graduate School Fair, Thurs., Oct. 24, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Muenster University Center. To register: www.usd.edu/advising/career-and-graduate-school-fair.cfm. Sponsored by the Academic and Career Planning Center. For additional information, contact Heather Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (605) 677-5381.
FRIDAY, JULY 12
- Free blood pressure screening from 7:30-9 a.m. at Sanford Vermillion Main Lobby, 20 S. Plum. For additional information, visit sanfordvermillion.org.
SATURDAY, JULY 13
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main St., 9 a.m.-noon. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- Open House at Dakota Gardens3 from 9:30-11 a.m. Tour the Dakota Gardens apartment complex at 126 S. Plum St. Light snack and refreshments will be served. For more information, call Melissa Langle-Lee at (605) 638-8423.
SUNDAY, JULY 14
- East River and Missouri Valley Bluegrass Music Association to feature “Monthly Open Jam” (second Sunday of each month) from 1-6 p.m. at Washington St. Arts Center, 202 Washington St. All levels welcome-open to pickers and listeners. Event is free and open to the public. For more information, call (877) 621-4118.
- Music Recital at USD: Shelley Stallons presents her graduate horn recital at 2 p.m., Colton Recital Hall, Warren M. Lee Center for the Fine Arts. Open to the public at no charge.
- Open House at Dakota Gardens from 2-4 p.m. Tour the Dakota Gardens apartment complex at 126 S. Plum St. Light snack and refreshments will be served. For more information, call Melissa Langle-Lee at (605) 638-8423.
MONDAY, JULY 15
- Eighth Annual Sheri Ellis Memorial Golf Social at The Bluffs Golf Course. 1 p.m. shotgun start. 18-hole, four-person scramble $50 per person paid in advance; $60 day of event. Includes golf, dinner and prizes. Sponsored by Sanford Vermillion and Dakota Hospital Foundation. To register, call Jill at (605) 638-8465.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, JULY 16
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
- Ice Cream Social at Trinity Lutheran Church (Fellowship Hall) from 5 p.m.-7 p.m. Location: 816 E. Clark St.
- Living and Learning seminar on “Advanced Directives: End of Life Care and Decisions,” at Sanford Vermillion Boardroom. (Use entrance at 102 S. Plum St.) Meal and educational seminar provided at 6 p.m. with music to follow by the Clay Creek Deaf Cowboy Band and door prizes. For more information or to RSVP, call Kari Jo at (605) 638-8319.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 17
- Dakota Classic Cruisers car club will bring their annual car show, Tri-State Drive-In Cruisers, to downtown Vermillion beginning at 5 p.m. This drive in cruise brings many Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota visitors to our community and provides a great opportunity for Vermillion merchants to showcase their businesses and enjoy additional sales. Main Street will be closed from Bank of the West entrance to Prospect St. and a half-block south on Court St. and north on Center St. Come on out to enjoy the classic cars and help us roll out the red carpet to welcome visitors to our community.
THURSDAY, JULY 18
- Cancer Support Group meeting at 2:30 p.m., Trinity Lutheran Church-Sletwold Room at 816 E. Clark St. For more information, call Marcy, 624-8706.
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at the Clay County Fairgrounds from 3-7 p.m. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Vermillion Lions Club meeting at 6 p.m., W. H. Over Museum-Sletwold Hall.
- JULY 19-22 – Vermillion Community Theatre presents the original musical “Robin Hood, Spirit of the Greene” Friday, July 19-22 at the Vermillion High School Performing Arts Center. Friday, Saturday and Monday performances at 7 p.m. with a Sunday matinee at 2:30 p.m. Visit vermillioncommunitytheatre.org, for additional information.
- JULY 20 – Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main St., 9 a.m.-noon. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- JULY 20 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- JULY 20 – Ninth Annual Heritage Music Fest, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Enjoy live music at Elk Point Jefferson School gym, 402 S. Douglas. Free will donations with proceeds benefitting Elk Point Masonic Lodge, High School Scholarship and CHild Identification Programs. Bring lawn chairs. Mason roast beef dinner at 5 p.m. Concessions and baked items. For more information, call Elaine Peacock, (605) 356-2069 or Don Gray (605) 356-2243.
- JULY 25 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 W. Cherry Street, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, July 24.
- AUG. 7 – Dakota Hospital Foundation and Sanford Vermillion invite you to an Open House and Community Celebration, from 5-7 p.m. at Vermillion High School, 1001 E. Main St. Bring the entire family for a picnic meal, ice cream and more.
- AUG. 8 – The Main Street Center located at 320 W. Main Street will be hosting their annual Ice Cream Social. Serving will be from 5:15-6:30 p.m. The menu includes sandwiches, chips, homemade desserts, ice cream and beverages. Suggested donation is $6; funds for this event benefit senior citizen center. Event is open to the public.
- AUG. 11 – The annual Pancake Fly-In Breakfast sponsored by the Vermillion Lions Club and Main Street Center will be at the Vermillion Airport. Pancakes, sausages and beverages will be served from 8 a.m. until noon in the airport hangar. Suggested donation is $5 and benefits the senior citizen center. This event is open to the public.
- Sixth annual Hy-Vee Scramble for SESDAC at The Bluff’s Golf Course. Sign-in and team photos from noon-12:45pm and shotgun start at 1 p.m. Prime Rib Dinner and program to follow. Tickets are available for dinner for non-golfers. For registration and information please contact The Bluffs Golf Course at (605) 677-7058. Get your team signed up early as this one fills up fast.
- AUG. 24-25 – 2013 Bullarama at Clay County Park Rodeo Arena unless otherwise noted. Call Linda Hawley at 202-0194 with questions. For more information, visit www.Bullarama.org.