Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
New event at Ribs, Rods and Rock ‘n Roll September 6-7. Backyard Barbeque – BBQ locals and amateurs, come test your skills and challenge your neighbor at this friendly competition cooking chicken and ribs – $50 entry. Go to www.sdbbq.us for details and entry forms. Don’t delay.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at: email@example.com or at 624-5571.
Summer Food Service Program through Friday, Aug. 2 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Location: Jolley Elementary, 224 S. University. Free lunch service for area children 18 years and under. For additional information, call 677-7000.
Special exhibition “The Shapes of Sound: Hearing with Your Eyes,” through Sept. 3 at the National Music Museum, Arne B. Larson Concert Hall located on USD campus.
USD Career and Graduate School Fair, Thursday, Oct. 24, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Muenster University Center. To register, visit www.usd.edu/advising/career-and-graduate-school-fair.cfm. Sponsored by the Academic and Career Planning Center. For additional information, contact Heather Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (605) 677-5381.
Foundation seeks members: The Clay-Union Foundation is seeking to locate two adult volunteers to match with two girls in Vermillion, and two boys and two girls to match in Elk Point. Volunteers spend two hours per week with their match. The relationship built helps everyone involved. The program is also seeking two new board members from Clay County and two board members from Union County. Contact John Gille at (605) 421-5050 to sign up as a volunteer, sign up a youth, or to serve on the board. The foundation is funded in part by the United Way of Vermillion.
Vermillion Community Theatre presents the original musical “Robin Hood, Spirit of the Greene” Friday, July 19-22 at the Vermillion High School Performing Arts Center. Friday, Saturday, and Monday performances at 7 p.m. with a Sunday matinee at 2:30 p.m. Visit vermillioncommunitytheatre.org for additional information.
SATURDAY, JULY 20
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- Ninth Annual Heritage Music Fest, Saturday, July 20, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Enjoy live music at Elk Point Jefferson School gym, 402 S. Douglas. Free will donations with proceeds benefitting Elk Point Masonic Lodge, High School Scholarship and Child Identification Programs. Bring lawn chairs. Mason roast beef dinner at 5 p.m. Concessions and baked items. For more information, call Elaine Peacock at (605) 356-2069 or Don Gray at (605) 356-2243.
- Gayville Hall’s musical variety show featuring “The Poker Alice Band” with Brenda George at 8 p.m., Gayville, SD, 502 Washington St. For reservations, call (605) 267-2859.
SUNDAY, JULY 21
- Eastern Star and Mason Annual Picnic at noon at Senior Center, 320 W. Main St. Bring a dish to share. Drinks, plates and utensils furnished.
MONDAY, JULY 22
- Support group for caregivers of loved ones with Alzheimer’s or memory loss meets Monday, July 22 at 7 p.m. at Vermillion Public Library conference room. For more information, call Fern Kaufman at 624-4898 or Marilyn Abraham at 934-2534.
- Al-anon meeting, Monday, July 22 at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, JULY 23
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
THURSDAY, JULY 25
- The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 W. Cherry St., 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, July 24.
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at the Clay County Fairgrounds from 3-7 p.m. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- “Thursdays on the Platz” in downtown Vermillion, corner of Main and Market, 6-8 p.m. featuring live music by “The Public Domain Tune Band” Food available for purchase from Aramark. Sponsored by Coffee Cup Fuel Stop. Bring the family.
- JULY 26-28 – State VFW Baseball Tournament will be held in Vermillion July 26 – 28.
- JULY 27 – Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- JULY 27 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- AUG. 1-4 – There will be a Bikers Breakfast at Exit 26 off of I-29 beginning at 7 a.m. and ending at noon each day. There will be pancakes, sausages, coffee, orange juice and treats for the kids. A free will offering would be appreciated. This is sponsored by the Lions Club in Vermillion with proceeds going to the W. H. Over Museum.
- AUG. 7 – Dakota Hospital Foundation and Sanford Vermillion invite you to an Open House and Community Celebration from 5-7 p.m. at Vermillion High School, 1001 E. Main St. Bring the entire family for a picnic meal, ice cream and more.
- AUG. 8 – The Main Street Center located at 320 W. Main St. will be hosting their annual Ice Cream Social. Serving will be from 5:15-6:30 p.m. The menu includes sandwiches, chips, homemade desserts, ice cream and beverages. Suggested donation is $6; funds for this event benefit senior citizen center. Event is open to the public.
- AUG. 8-10 – Clay County Fair at Clay County Fairgrounds. For more information, visit claycountyfair.net or call (605) 677-7111.
- AUG. 9 – Jump In Jump Rope at 4:45 p.m. at Clay County Fairgrounds. Clay County Fair Jump Rope Activity sponsored by Sanford Vermillion.
- AUG. 11 – The annual Pancake Fly-In Breakfast sponsored by the Vermillion Lions Club and Main Street Center will be at the Vermillion Airport. Pancakes, sausages and beverages will be served from 8 a.m. until noon in the airport hangar. Suggested donation is $5 and benefits the senior citizen center. This event is open to the public.
- AUG. 12 – Sixth annual Hy-Vee Scramble for SESDAC at The Bluff’s Golf Course. Sign-in and team photos from noon-12:45 p.m. and shotgun start at 1 p.m. Prime Rib Dinner and program to follow. Tickets are available for dinner for non-golfers. For registration and information, contact The Bluffs Golf Course at (605) 677-7058. Get your team signed up early as this one fills up fast.
- AUG. 16-18 – Riverboat Days and Summer Arts Festival at Yankton at Riverside Park.
- AUG. 17 – Annual Heritage Ride: The Heritage ride is a charity ride that supports the Clay-Union Foundation. This year’s ride starts at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Elk Point. Registration begins at 8 a.m. and the riders leave as a group at 9 a.m. with a police escort out of town. Routes from 8-58 miles, all on blacktop; free snacks and beverages available during the ride. Sags stay out until every rider is back in town. Lunch available at the church. Registration forms are at http://www.clay-unionfoundation.org/ or e-mail email@example.com. Call John Gille at (605) 421-5050 for more information. Bring your friends, ride at your own pace and enjoy the day.
- AUG. 20 – First day of school at Vermillion Public Schools.
- AUG. 23-24 – Move-In Day 2013 for USD. Please help us roll out the red carpet to welcome the new and returning students to Vermillion.
- AUG. 24-25 – Great Dakota Wine Fest at Valiant Vineyards, 1500 W. Main St., Saturday Aug. 24 from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. and Sunday Aug. 25 from noon-5 p.m. Enjoy a weekend of wine tasting, cooking demonstrations, live music, amateur wine making competition, fun and inspiring arts and craft vendors, food vendors, grape stomping, winery tours, door prizes and more. For more info visit www.greatdakotawinefest.com.
- AUG. 24-25 – 2013 Bullarama at Clay County Park Rodeo Arena unless otherwise noted. For more information, visit www.Bullarama.org. Call Linda Hawley at 202-0194 with questions.