Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
New event at Ribs, Rods & Rock ‘n Roll Sept. 6-7. Backyard barbeque – BBQ locals and amateurs, come test your skills and challenge your neighbor at this friendly competition cooking chicken and ribs – $50 entry. Go to www.sdbbq.us for details and entry forms. Don’t delay.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
Briar Cliff University, Sioux City, IA, is bringing their home football games to the USD DakotaDome this football season. This is an opportunity for the Vermillion area businesses and community to welcome these visiting sports fans and invite them to shop, dine, and more in Vermillion. For BCU’s football schedule go to www.bcuchargers.com/schedule/0/7.php.
Summer Food Service Program through Friday, Aug. 2 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Location: Jolley Elementary, 224 S. University. Free lunch service for area children 18 years and under. For additional information, call 677-7000.
Special exhibition “The Shapes of Sound: Hearing with Your Eyes,” through Sept. 3 at the National Music Museum, Arne B. Larson Concert Hall located on USD campus.
USD Career and Graduate School Fair, Thursday, Oct. 24, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Muenster University Center. To register, visit www.usd.edu/advising/career-and-graduate-school-fair.cfm. Sponsored by the Academic and Career Planning Center. For additional information, contact Heather Johnson at email@example.com or (605) 677-5381.
Foundation seeks members: The Clay-Union Foundation is seeking to locate two adult volunteers to match with two girls in Vermillion, and two boys and two girls to match in Elk Point. Volunteers spend two hours/week with their match; the relationship built helps everyone involved. The program is also seeking two new board members from Clay County and two board members from Union County. Contact John Gille at (605) 421-5050 to sign up as a volunteer, sign up a youth or to serve on the board. The foundation is funded in part by the United Way of Vermillion.
FRIDAY, JULY 26
- State VFW Baseball Tournament for 13- and 14-year-olds will be held in Vermillion July 26-28 at Prentis Park. Vermillion and seven other communities will be participating.
- Heartland Humane Society will have dogs available for adoption in downtown Yankton during “Moonlight Madness” event from 4-8 p.m. The shelter will have a litter of nine puppies available for adoption starting in August – kittens and guinea pigs are also available. If interested in adopting, applications are available at the shelter in Yankton or online at www.heartlandhumanesociety.net.
- Winery After Hours Partyat Valiant Vineyards from 5 p.m. till sunset. T. Wilson King will play from 6-8 p.m. Open Mic till Sunset. Free entry. For more information, call (605) 624-4500 or visit www.valiantvineyards.us.
SATURDAY, JULY 27
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
MONDAY, JULY 29
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, JULY 30
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
THURSDAY, AUG. 1
- There will be a Bikers Breakfast Aug. 1-4 at Exit 26 off of I-29 beginning at 7 a.m. and ending at noon each day. There will be pancakes, sausages, coffee, orange juice and treats for the kids. A free will offering would be appreciated. This is sponsored by the Lions Club in Vermillion with proceeds going to the W. H. Over Museum.
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at the Clay County Fairgrounds from 3-7 p.m. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- AUG. 2-4 – Sioux River Folk Festival at Newton Hills State Park. For lineup of musicians and admission fees, visit: http://www.fotm.org/festival.html.
- AUG. 3 – Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main St., 9 a.m.-noon. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- AUG. 3 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- AUG. 3 – Fifteenth annual “Fathead Open” at The Bluffs Golf Course. The Greg Nygaard Memorial Golf Social draws 144 to 168 golfers from CA, CO, OR, WY, NE, MN, WI, IA, GA, KS, ND and SD. Proceeds from the four-person scramble have gone towards funding the Greg ‘Fathead’ Nygaard Memorial Field as well as the USD Golf Team, St. Jude Children’s Hospital and USD Foundation.
- AUG. 7 – Dakota Hospital Foundation and Sanford Vermillion invite you to an Open House and Community Celebration from 5-7 p.m. at Vermillion High School, 1001 E. Main St. Bring the entire family for a picnic meal, ice cream and more.
- AUG. 8 – The Main Street Center located at 320 W. Main St. will be hosting their annual Ice Cream Social. Serving will be from 5:15-6:30 p.m. The menu includes sandwiches, chips, homemade desserts, ice cream and beverages. Suggested donation is $6; funds for this event benefit senior citizen center. Event is open to the public.
- AUG. 8 – Clay County Fair at Clay County Fairgrounds. For more information call (605) 677-7111.
- AUG. 8 – Barnyard Olympics. Sign up at 6:30 p.m.; start at 7 p.m. Get a team together and join in the fun at the 1st Annual Clay County Fair Barnyard Olympics. Teams of 5, ages 8 and up. $25 entry fee per team. $500 in awards. Some obstacles include: Hay Stack, Chicken Wrangling, The Golden Horse Shoe, Egg Toss, Milk Chug. For more information, contact Jessica Kennedy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AUG. 9-10 – Clay County Fair at Clay County Fairgrounds. For more information call (605) 677-7111.
- AUG. 11 – The annual Pancake Fly-In Breakfast sponsored by the Vermillion Lions Club and Main Street Center will be at the Vermillion Airport. Pancakes, sausages and beverages will be served from 8 a.m.-noon in the airport hangar. Suggested donation is $5 and benefits the senior citizen center. This event is open to the public.
- AUG. 12 – Sixth annual Hy-Vee Scramble for SESDAC at The Bluff’s Golf Course. Sign-in and team photos from 12-12:45 p.m. and shotgun start at 1 p.m. Prime Rib Dinner and program to follow. Tickets are available for dinner for non-golfers. For registration and information please contact The Bluffs Golf Course at (605) 677-7058. Get your team signed up early as this one fills up fast.
- AUG. 16 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 1024 W. Cherry St. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, Aug.14.
- AUG. 16-18 – Riverboat Days and Summer Arts Festival at Yankton at Riverside Park.
- AUG. 17 – Annual Heritage Ride: The Heritage ride is a charity ride that supports the Clay-Union Foundation. This year’s ride starts at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Elk Point. Registration begins at 8 a.m. and the riders leave as a group at 9 a.m. with a police escort out of town. Routes from 8-58 miles, all on blacktop; free snacks and beverages available during the ride. Sags stay out until every rider is back in town. Lunch available at the church. Registration forms are at http://www.clay-unionfoundation.org/ or e-mail email@example.com. Call John Gille at (605) 421-5050 for more information. Bring your friends, ride at your own pace, and enjoy the day.
- AUG. 20 – First day of school at Vermillion Public Schools.
- AUG. 23-24 – Move-In Day 2013 for USD. Please help us roll out the red carpet to welcome the new and returning students to Vermillion.
- AUG. 24-25 – Great Dakota Wine Fest at Valiant Vineyards, 1500 W. Main St., Saturday Aug. 24 from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. and Sunday Aug. 25 from noon-5 p.m. Enjoy a weekend of wine-tasting, cooking demonstrations, live music, amateur wine-making competition, fun and inspiring arts and craft vendors, food vendors, grape stomping, winery tours, door prizes and more. For more info visit www.greatdakotawinefest.com.