Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
Notice from Lenni Billberg, Vermillion High School:
“Hello Vermillion Community. I am writing today to offer the services of Vermillion High School students to volunteer in/for your organizations/business/groups on Oct. 9. Our students look forward to this day all year. This year marks the Fifth Annual Tanager Volunteer day. Thus far, our plans include a full day of work starting around 8:45 a.m. and ending around 3 p.m. Again this year, we will work in groups of 12-15 students. We can make the groups bigger or divide them if needed.
“Please dare to challenge our students. We can accomplish many things in a short time. Tanager students enjoy cleaning, painting, vacuuming, planting trees, scraping paint or almost any task you need completed.
“Also, please spread the word to other groups you might be affiliated with that need assistance. We will bus students to and from your location. We also provide a lunch for the students around the noon hour, but will return them to you as needed for work. Please let me know how many volunteers you need, the time you need them and an idea of the work students will complete.
“This activity is a kick off to our Tanager Homecoming week. Thank you for all you do for Vermillion schools. Let us give back to you in service.”
Briar Cliff University, Sioux City, IA, is bringing their home football games to the USD DakotaDome this football season. This is an opportunity for the Vermillion area businesses and community to welcome these visiting sports fans and invite them to shop, dine and more in Vermillion. For BCU’s football schedule go to www.bcuchargers.com/schedule/0/7.php.
Summer Food Service Program through Friday, Aug. 2 from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at Jolley Elementary, 224 S. University. Free lunch service for area children 18 years and under. For additional information, call 677-7000.
Special exhibition: “The Shapes of Sound: Hearing with Your Eyes,” through Sept. 3 at the National Music Museum, Arne B. Larson Concert Hall located on USD campus.
USD Career and Graduate School Fair, Thursday, Oct. 24, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Muenster University Center. To register, visit www.usd.edu/advising/career-and-graduate-school-fair.cfm. Sponsored by the Academic and Career Planning Center. For additional information, contact Heather Johnson at email@example.com or (605) 677-5381.
Foundation seeks members: The Clay-Union Foundation is seeking to locate two adult volunteers to match with two girls in Vermillion, and two boys and two girls to match in Elk Point. Volunteers spend two hours per week with their match; the relationship built helps everyone involved. The program is also seeking two new board members from Clay County and two board members from Union County. Contact John Gille at (605) 421-5050 to sign up as a volunteer, sign up a youth or to serve on the board. The foundation is funded in part by the United Way of Vermillion.
SATURDAY, AUG. 3
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
- Fiftheent Annual “Fathead Open” at The Bluffs Golf Course. The Greg Nygaard Memorial Golf Social draws 144 to 168 golfers from CA, CO, OR, WY, NE, MN, WI, IA, GA, KS, ND and SD. Proceeds from the four-person scramble have gone towards funding the Greg “Fathead” Nygaard Memorial Field as well as the USD Golf Team, St. Judes Children’s Hospital and USD Foundation.
MONDAY, AUG. 5
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, AUG. 6
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
WEDNESDAY, AUG. 7
- Dakota Hospital Foundation and Sanford Vermillion invite you to an Open House and Community Celebration from 5-7 p.m. at Vermillion High School, 1001 E. Main St. Bring the entire family for a picnic meal, ice cream and more.
THURSDAY, AUG. 8
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at the Clay County Fairgrounds from 3-7 p.m. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- The Main Street Center located at 320 W. Main St. will be hosting their annual Ice Cream Social. Serving will be from 5:15-6:30 p.m. The menu includes sandwiches, chips, homemade desserts, ice cream and beverages. Suggested donation is $6; funds for this event benefit senior citizen center. Event is open to the public.
- Barnyard Olympics. Sign up at 6:30 p.m.; start at 7 p.m. Get a team together and join in the fun at the First Annual Clay County Fair Barnyard Olympics. Teams of 5, ages 8 and up. $25 entry fee per team. $500 in awards. Some obstacles include Hay Stack, Chicken Wrangling, The Golden Horse Shoe, Egg Toss, Milk Chug. For more information, contact Jessica Kennedy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Clay County Fair at Clay County Fairgrounds. For more information call (605) 677-7111.
- AUG. 9-10 – Clay County Fair at Clay County Fairgrounds. For more information, call (605) 677-7111.
- AUG. 10 – Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- AUG. 10 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- AUG. 11 – The annual Pancake Fly-In Breakfast sponsored by the Vermillion Lions Club and Main Street Center will be at the Vermillion Airport. Pancakes, sausages and beverages will be served from 8 a.m. until noon in the airport hangar. Suggested donation is $5 and benefits the senior citizen center. This event is open to the public.
- AUG. 12 – Sixth annual Hy-Vee Scramble for SESDAC at The Bluff’s Golf Course. Sign-in and team photos from noon-12:45 p.m. and shotgun start at 1 p.m. Prime Rib Dinner and program to follow. Tickets are available for dinner for non-golfers. For registration and information please contact The Bluffs Golf Course at (605) 677-7058. Get your team signed up early as this one fills up fast.
- AUG. 16 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 1024 W. Cherry St. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 14.
- AUG. 16-18 – Riverboat Days and Summer Arts Festival at Yankton, Aug. 16-18 at Riverside Park.
- AUG. 17 – Annual Heritage Ride: The Heritage ride is a charity ride that supports the Clay-Union Foundation. This year’s ride starts at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Elk Point. Registration begins at 8 a.m. and the riders leave as a group at 9 a.m. with a police escort out of town. Routes from 8-58 miles, all on blacktop; free snacks and beverages available during the ride. Sags stay out until every rider is back in town. Lunch available at the church. Registration forms are at http://www.clay-unionfoundation.org/ or e-mail email@example.com. Call John Gille at (605) 421-5050 for more information. Bring your friends, ride at your own pace, and enjoy the day.
- AUG. 20 – First day of school at Vermillion Public Schools.
- AUG. 23-24 – Move-In Day 2013 for USD. Please help us roll out the red carpet to welcome the new and returning students to Vermillion.
- AUG. 25 – Great Dakota Wine Fest at Valiant Vineyards, 1500 W. Main St., Saturday Aug. 24, from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. and Sunday Aug. 25, from noon-5 p.m. Enjoy a weekend of wine tasting, cooking demonstrations, live music, amateur wine making competition, fun and inspiring arts and craft vendors, food vendors, grape stomping, winery tours, door prizes and more. For more information, visit www.greatdakotawinefest.com.
- AUG. 24-25 – 2013 Bullarama Aug. 24-25 at Clay County Park Rodeo Arena. For more information, visit www.Bullarama.org, or call Linda Hawley at 202-0194 with questions.
- SEPT. 6-7 – Don’t miss the ninth annual Ribs, Rods & Rock ‘n Roll downtown Vermillion. Free admission this year and plenty of seating. Highlights include KCBS BBQ contest, people’s choice judging (wings and pork), car show, family fun area, charity poker run, sidewalk vendors, food court, beer garden, backyard BBQ (where locals compete – new this year.) and live rock ‘n roll. There’s something for everyone so come on out and enjoy this great two-day event. Visit www.sdbbq.us for more details.
- SEPT. 16 – Gordon Lightfoot to perform at the Orpheum Theatre, Sioux City, 8 p.m. Tickets go on sale Friday July 19,10 a.m. through Ticketmaster. For group tickets, call Melissa at (712) 224-6423 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.