Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Join the Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce and Development Company, University of South Dakota, and Eagle Creek Software Services to celebrate the official ground breaking for Eagle Creek Software Services new technology center in Vermillion, Tuesday, Aug. 13, 10 a.m. at 1012 Princeton St. in Riverbend Business Park across from Wal-Mart.
The Vermillion Area Community Foundation is accepting proposals for projects to improve our community. Forms for submitting proposals by groups or organizations are available at the Chamber of Commerce office. While funds available are limited we can fully fund small one-time requests or partially fund larger projects. Your annual donations to our Foundation will provide us with increasing funds each year for worthwhile projects.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
Notice from Lenni Billberg, Vermillion High School:
“Hello Vermillion Community. I am writing today to offer the services of Vermillion High School students to volunteer in/for your organizations/business/groups on Oct. 9. Our students look forward to this day all year. This year marks the Fifth Annual Tanager Volunteer day. Thus far, our plans include a full day of work starting around 8:45 a.m. and ending around 3 p.m. Again this year, we will work in groups of 12-15 students. We can make the groups bigger or divide them if needed.
“Please dare to challenge our students. We can accomplish many things in a short time. Tanager students enjoy cleaning, painting, vacuuming, planting trees, scraping paint or almost any task you need completed.
“Also, please spread the word to other groups you might be affiliated with that need assistance. We will bus students to and from your location. We also provide a lunch for the students around the noon hour, but will return them to you as needed for work. Please let me know how many volunteers you need, the time you need them and an idea of the work students will complete.
“This activity is a kick off to our Tanager Homecoming week. Thank you for all you do for Vermillion schools. Let us give back to you in service.”
Briar Cliff University, Sioux City, IA, is bringing their home football games to the USD DakotaDome this football season. This is an opportunity for the Vermillion area businesses and community to welcome these visiting sports fans and invite them to shop, dine, and more in Vermillion. For BCU’s football schedule go to www.bcuchargers.com/schedule/0/7.php.
“Dust, Metal, and Stone: The Graphic Arts of the 1930s” Exhibit features 60 original intaglio and lithographic prints created by regionalist and realist American artists during the 1930s including artists Thomas Hart Benton, Grant Wood, Peggy Bacon and Louis Lozowick. Exhibition runs through Sept. 20 from 9 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays at the John A. Day Gallery, Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts on USD campus
Special exhibition: “The Shapes of Sound: Hearing with Your Eyes,” through Sept. 3 at the National Music Museum, Arne B. Larson Concert Hall located on USD campus.
USD Career and Graduate School Fair, Thursday, Oct. 24, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Muenster University Center. To register, visit www.usd.edu/advising/career-and-graduate-school-fair.cfm. Sponsored by the Academic and Career Planning Center. For additional information, contact Heather Johnson at email@example.com or (605) 677-5381.
The Clay-Union Foundation continues growth: The Foundation made its 135th match in Elk Point, Monday, July 29. There are still two boys and a girl to match in Elk Point, and two girls to match in Vermillion. The program is seeking new adult volunteers and youth ages 5-17 years old, throughout Clay and Union County. The program is in its 16th year matching youth. The Foundation is also seeking two board members from Clay County and two from Union County, as well as donors to help it continue its growth. Please contact John Gille at (605) 421-5050, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how to get involved in the program, or go to http://www.clay-unionfoundation.org/ for an application. The program is supported in part by the United Way of Vermillion.
FRIDAY, AUG. 9
- Free Blood Pressure Screening, Sanford Vermillion main lobby, 20 S. Plum St., 7:30-9 a.m. Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (TDAP) immunizations also available. Cost: $40.
- “Alice in Wonderland,” a play presented by Joe’s Bros. Play Co., Aug. 9-10, 7:30 p.m. at Washington Street Arts Center, 202 Washington St., Vermillion.
- Clay County Fair at Clay County Fairgrounds. For more information call (605) 677-7111.
SATURDAY, AUG. 10
- Clay County Fair at Clay County Fairgrounds. For more information call (605) 677-7111.
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12-step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
SUNDAY, AUG. 11
- The annual Pancake Fly-In Breakfast sponsored by the Vermillion Lions Club and Main Street Center will be at the Vermillion Airport. Pancakes, sausages and beverages will be served from 8 a.m.-noon in the airport hangar. Suggested donation is $5 and benefits the senior citizen center. This event is open to the public.
- East River and Missouri Valley Bluegrass Music Association to feature “Monthly Open Jam,” (second Sunday of each month) from 1-6 p.m. at Washington Street Arts Center, 202 Washington St. All levels welcome-open to pickers and listeners. Event is free and open to the public. For more information, call (877) 621-4118 (toll free).
MONDAY, AUG. 12
- Sixth annual Hy-Vee Scramble for SESDAC at The Bluff’s Golf Course. Sign-in and team photos from 12-12:45 p.m. and shotgun start at 1 p.m. Prime Rib Dinner and program to follow. Tickets are available for dinner for non-golfers. For registration and information please contact The Bluffs Golf Course at (605) 677-7058. Get your team signed up early as this one fills up FAST.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, AUG. 13
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
THURSDAY, AUG. 15
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at the Clay County Fairgrounds from 3-7 p.m. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Vermillion Lions Club meeting at the W. H. Over Museum in Sletwold Hall at 6 p.m.
- AUG. 16 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 1024 West Cherry Street. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, Aug.14.
- AUG. 16-18 – Riverboat Days and Summer Arts Festival at Yankton at Riverside Park.
- AUG. 17 – Missouri River Water Trail Group Kayak and Canoe Trip, 8 a.m.-2 p.m., Join a Park Ranger from the National Park Service for a group paddle trip down the Missouri River Water Trail departing from the St. Helena boat ramp near St. Helena, NE, to Brooky Bottom near Obert, NE. Participants must provide their own kayak or canoe. Shuttle service is provided by Park Service staff. Free event. Registration is required and limited to 15 participants. Meet at St. Helena boat ramp at 7:45 a.m. to allow time to unload your vessel. For more information visit www.mnrrwatertrail.org.
- AUG. 17 – Annual Heritage Ride is a charity ride that supports the Clay-Union Foundation. This year’s ride starts at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Elk Point. Registration begins at 8 a.m. and the riders leave as a group at 9 a.m. with a police escort out of town. Routes from 8-58 miles, all on blacktop; free snacks and beverages available during the ride. Sags stay out until every rider is back in town. Lunch available at the church. Registration forms are at http://www.clay-unionfoundation.org/ or e-mail email@example.com. Call John Gille at (605) 421-5050 for more information. Bring your friends, ride at your own pace and enjoy the day.
- AUG. 17 – Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- AUG. 17 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- AUG. 20 – First day of school at Vermillion Public Schools.
- AUG. 22 – “Thursdays on the Platz” in downtown Vermillion, corner of Main and Market, 6-8 p.m. featuring live music by “The Public Domain Tune Band.” Food available for purchase from BBQ Blues Smokehouse. Sponsored by Rotary International. It’s a great chance to sit outdoors with friends and family, listen to music, and enjoy the great outdoors. Bring the family, have some food and enjoy some local entertainment. Due to limited seating, please bring your own chair.
- AUG. 23-24 – Move-In Day 2013 for USD. Please help us roll out the red carpet to welcome the new and returning students to Vermillion.
- AUG. 24-25 – Great Dakota Wine Fest at Valiant Vineyards, 1500 W. Main St., Saturday Aug. 24 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday Aug. 25 from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m. Enjoy a weekend of wine tasting, cooking demonstrations, live music, amateur wine making competition, fun and inspiring arts and craft vendors, food vendors, grape stomping, winery tours, door prizes and more. For more info visit www.greatdakotawinefest.com.
- AUG. 24-25 – Join us for the 2013 Bullarama Aug. 24 and 25 at Clay County Park Rodeo Arena unless otherwise noted. www.Bullarama.org. Call Linda Hawley at 202-0194 with questions.
- SEPT. 6-7 – Don’t miss the ninth annual Ribs, Rods & Rock ‘n Roll downtown Vermillion on Friday and Saturday, Sept. 6-7. Free admission this year and plenty of seating to enjoy scrumptious BBQ and other treats. Highlights include KCBS BBQ contest, people’s choice judging (wings and pork), car show, family fun area, charity poker run, sidewalk vendors, food court, beer garden, backyard BBQ (where locals compete – new this year.) and Live rock ‘n roll. There’s something for everyone so come on out and enjoy this great two-day event. Visit www.sdbbq.us for more details.
- SEPT. 7 – Kayaking and Canoeing the Missouri River at 9 a.m. Join area river enthusiasts for a paddle trip from Clay County Park (near Vermillion) to Bolton boat ramp (near Burbank). Unique features of this river segment include the Gunderson Backwater, Vermillion River confluence, Gunderson Island and miles of undeveloped scenic river. No guide service provided. Provide your own vessel and make shuttle arrangements. Free event. For additional information, contact Jarett Bies at (605) 941-4940 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.