Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at email@example.com or at 624-5571.
The Vermillion Medical Clinic can provide Vermillion businesses with onsite employee flu shots. To schedule or for more information, contact Becky McManus via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-8643.
Dakota Days Parade: Reminder to organizations, businesses and other groups in the Vermillion area to register online on the USD Web site if interested in having a float in the parade. The parade is on Oct. 5 at 10 a.m. Submissions for float entries need to be in by September 20. To register, visit http://www.usd.edu/campus-life/dakota-days/parade-registration.cfm.
Spring break at Vermillion Public Schools has been moved to early dismissal on March 12, 2014, at 2 p.m. and no school on March 13 and 14. (Previously scheduled to dismiss March 5 at 2 p.m. with no school on March 6 and 7.)
The Clay-Union Foundation has had a busy few months, adding three new board members, two new matches and continuing efforts to match youth in the two counties. The program would like to add two adult volunteers to serve as board members from Clay County, and also is seeking three students from the USD law school or communications department to help provide input on programs, future projects and needs. USD student reps would ideally be sophomore status, so they have time to grow with the program and contribute to its board. The Foundation will start its 17th year as a non- profit youth mentoring program, and is seeking to create new matches throughout the two counties. It is supported by donations from businesses, individuals and organizations, and in part, by the United Way of Vermillion. For more information, contact John Gille at (605) 421-5050, e-mail email@example.com or visit www.clay-unionfoundation.org, to be involved in the program.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 20
- Boys golf: Elk Point/Jefferson at 9 a.m. (T)
- Brown Bag Lunch Program: “Black Elk Sings” featuring Michael Murphy-folk singer, songwriter, guitarist and player of the Native American flute at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and open to the public.
- X-Country: Invite at 3:45 p.m. (H)
- Football: Tea Area at 7 p.m. (T)
SATURDAY, SEPT. 21
- ACT Test at Vermillion High School at 8 a.m.
- Volleyball: Bon Homme at 8:30 a.m. (T)
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- Heartland Humane Society (HHS) and USD Greek Life host “Tails and Trails” on Vermillion’s USD Campus at the old ice rink near north complex dorms, 10 a.m.-noon. Join us for our annual dog walk and chances to win fabulous raffle and door prizes. Pet contest will be held at10:45 a.m. Categories include Best Trick, Best Dressed, and Most Unusual. Attendees encouraged to come with or without a pet. All healthy, friendly and vaccinated animals are welcome. Adoptable dogs will also be on hand to meet. Free-will donation to HHS welcome.
- Girls soccer: West Central at 11 a.m. in Sioux Falls.
- Boys soccer: Huron at 11 a.m. (T)
- Red Earth Cooperative to hold Harvest Fest Celebration of local food, music and community. All are welcome to a pig roast meal, country and blue grass bands, hayrides, dancing, silent auction and more. Member meeting and elections will also be held. 2 p.m. at Clay County Park near Vermillion. For more information, visit http://www.redearthcoop.com or visit https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clay-County-Park/311967215499844. Food and entertainment by free-will donation.
- Valiant Vineyards Winery will participate in a charity wine tasting event from 4-7 p.m. at the Lennox City Park. The event will feature tastings of six SD wineries. There will be a drawing for a “Wall of Wine”, a variety of 50 wines including two bottles from the 2000-year-old Crimisan Winery located outside Bethlehem. Minervas will be the food vendor. All proceeds go to the nonprofit organization In His Steps, providing medical relief in the Bethlehem area for 12 years. Presale tickets are $25 ($30 day of event) and can be purchased at Valiant Vineyards or by mailing check payable to In His Steps to Ken Sayler, PO Box 575, Lennox, SD 57039. Tickets should be picked up at the gate day of event.
- A Celebration of Hank Williams at 8 p.m. at Gayville Music Hall in Gayville. Featured musicians: John and Susan McNeill, Owen DeJong and Nick Schwebach. For reservations, call (605) 267-2859.
SUNDAY, SEPT. 22
- USD women’s soccer vs. Northern Iowa at noon, DakotaDome Soccer Field.
MONDAY, SEPT. 23
- Boys golf: Dakota XII Conference Meet at West Central at 9 a.m.
- X-Country: Alcester-Hudson at 3:45 p.m. (T)
- JV football: Tea Area at 4:30 p.m. (T)
- Volleyball: Madison at 5 p.m. (H)
- Junior Parent Night at Vermillion High School at 6:30 p.m.
- Alzheimer’s Association meeting at 7 p.m. at Vermillion Public Library Conference Room. Support group for caregivers of loved ones with Alzheimer’s or memory loss. For more information, call 624-4898 or 934-2534.
- 61st Harrington Lecture featuring Tina Keller, Associate Dean-College of Arts and Sciences and Professor of Physics, will present “Counting What Counts” at 7 p.m., Farber Hall located in Old Main on USD campus. Reception following. Everyone welcome.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, SEPT. 24
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
- Seventh-eighth grade football vs. Tea Area at 4:30 p.m. (H)
- Seventh-eighth grade volleyball vs. Tea Area at 4:30 p.m. (T)
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 25
- USD alumnus Kirby James Pilcher to exhibit his film-based art for a solo exhibition: “Seldom is Heard”, Wednesday, Sept. 25-Wednesday, Oct. 23 at John A. Day Gallery in the Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts on USD campus. Pilcher’s photo-based projects explore the myths, land and the history of South Dakota, his home state.
- Flu Shots by Hy-Vee from 10 a.m.-noon at The Main Street Center, 320 W. Main St. For more information, call 624-8072.
Program on Fall Prevention from USD OT and PT students at 10:30 a.m. at The Main Street Center, 320 W. Main St. For more information, call 624-8072.
- International Forum: “What Americans Need to Know About Israel-Palestine” at noon, in Farber Hall located in Old Main on USD campus. Alison Weir, an internationally recognized writer and speaker, will lecture about the core issue of the Middle East, based on her experience as a freelance reporter in that part of the world. Dr. Benno Wymar (Economics) will moderate. The event is sponsored by the USD Beacom School of Business and is open to the public at no charge.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 26
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at the Clay County Fairgrounds from 3-7 p.m. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Fall Dinner and fundraiser, 5:30 p.m. at the Main Street Center, 320 W. Main St. Sponsored with Trinity Lutheran Church with additional funding provided by the Clay County SD Chapter of Thrivent Financial for Lutherans. For more information, call 624-8072.
Friday, September 27
Heart and Lung Cancer Screens, Friday, Sept. 27, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at Sanford Vermillion, 20 S. Plum St. Heart Screen $50; Lung Cancer Screen $99. Call 888-996-4673 to schedule an appointment. For more information about the screenings, visit: sanfordhealth.org, keyword: screenings.
The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 West Cherry St., Friday, Sept. 27 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677.6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 25.
Saturday, September 28
Neighbor to Neighbor Food Drive: Wal-Mart stores traditionally hold a food drive for Food Pantries in South Dakota in September. Foods may be purchased and left in bins in Wal-Mart stores Saturday, Sept. 28 and Sunday, Sept. 29 for local Food Pantries to pick up and use. Last year, the Vermillion Food Pantry fed over 4,600 people. The Vermillion Food Pantry welcomes community support to help replenish their shelves.
Vermillion Area Farmers Market, Saturday, Sept. 28 at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main St., 9 a.m.-noon. For more information call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail: VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com
Overeaters Anonymous: Saturday, Sept. 28 at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S Plum St., Administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room. Description: Overeaters Anonymous is a 12 step program for people with eating disorders and struggles.
ART SHOW: Pat Angling will be having a display of his paintings at the W. H. Over Museum in Vermillion from Sept.16 through Sept. 28. There will be a reception on Sept. 28 from 2 – 4 p.m. in Sletwold Hall at the museum.
Cameron Walter Benefit Fundraiser, Saturday, Sept. 28 at the Eagles. Dinner and bake sale 5-7 p.m. Live auction at 7 p.m. Description: Fundraiser for Cameron Walter, 2 years old, who is fighting lymphoma and receiving weekly chemotherapy treatments in Sioux Falls at the Castle. Monetary donations or a donation for the Silent Auction can be dropped off at Vermillion Hospital front desk or call Laurie Kruse, 624-5458
Upcoming Events – Mark Your Calendars.
Sunday, September 29
Join TEAM VERMILLION to walk in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on Sunday, Sept. 29 at Falls Park in Sioux Falls. Go to www.komensouthdakota.org/race and join TEAMVERMILLION. Reserve your $10 seat on the bus by contacting Barb Campbell at 624-4626 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org by Sept. 13.
Tuesday, October 1
HealthySD Stakeholders Workshop, Tuesday, Oct. 1 at Red Rossa Italian Grille Conference Center, Pierre, SD, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Featuring Mark Fenton, nationally known public health, healthy community design and walkability consultant. Communities encouraged to bring a multi-disciplinary team to the free workshop. To register or for more information, contact Beth A. Davis, (605) 280-2429 or e-mail: email@example.com
Saturday, October 5
Dakota Days Parade, Saturday, Oct. 5 at 10 a.m.
Wednesday, October 9
Notice from Lenni Billberg, Vermillion High School: Hello Vermillion Community. I am writing today to offer the services of Vermillion High School students to volunteer in/for your organizations/business/groups on Oct. 9, 2013. Our students look forward to this day all year. This year marks the 5th Annual Tanager Volunteer day. Thus far, our plans include a full day of work starting around 8:45 a.m. and ending around 3 p.m. Again this year, we will work in groups of 12-15 students. We can make the groups bigger or divide them if needed. Please dare to challenge our students. We can accomplish many things in a short time. Tanager students enjoy cleaning, painting, vacuuming, planting trees, scrapping paint, or almost any task you need completed. Also, please spread the word to other groups you might be affiliated with that need assistance. We will bus students to and from your location. We also provide a lunch for the students around the noon hour, but will return them to you as needed for work. Please let me know how many volunteers you need, the time you need them, and an idea of the work students will complete. This activity is a kick off to our Tanager Homecoming week. Thank you for all you do for Vermillion schools. Let us give back to you in service.
Friday, October 18
The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP), Friday, Oct. 18 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 1024 West Cherry Street. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677.6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, October 16.
Thursday, October 24
USD Career and Graduate School Fair, Thursday, Oct. 24, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Muenster University Center. To register: www.usd.edu/advising/career-and-graduate-school-fair.cfm. Sponsored by the Academic and Career Planning Center. For additional information, contact Heather Johnson: firstname.lastname@example.org or (605) 677-5381.
Friday, October 25
The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP), Friday, Oct. 25 at 504 River Drive, North Sioux City from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 242.5445 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, October 23.
Sunday, June 22-Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Scandinavia Adult Tour-2014: tour will visit Bergan and Oslo, Norway, Copenhagen, Denmark, Stockholm, Sweden, Helsinki, Finland, Tallinn, Estonia, and conclude in St. Petersburg, Russia. Depart Sioux Falls on June 22 and return July 8, 2014. If interested, e-mail: Lenni.Billberg@k12.sd.us or call (605) 670-2717
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber
Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or e-mail us at email@example.com. A
listing of events is also available at: www.vermillionchamber.com/calendar.php and includes
links to USD and Public School events.