Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Ann at email@example.com or at 624-5571.
United Way of Vermillion Week: Sept. 23-29. The proclamation declared by the Vermillion City Council coincides with the launch of the 2014 United Way of Vermillion campaign – “Local Giving, Local Impact.” The campaign’s goal is to raise $115,000 for 21 different community programs that make a difference in people’s lives in Vermillion. For more information or to make a donation, visit http://www.united-wayofvermillion.org.
The Vermillion Medical Clinic can provide Vermillion businesses with onsite employee flu shots. To schedule or for more information, contact Becky McManus at firstname.lastname@example.org or 624-8643.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 27
- Heart and Lung Cancer Screens, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. at Sanford Vermillion, 20 S. Plum St. Heart Screen $50; Lung Cancer Screen $99. Call (888) 996-4673 to schedule an appointment. For more information about the screenings, visit sanfordhealth.org, keyword: screenings.
- The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 West Cherry St. from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 25.
- Brown Bag Lunch Program: “An Eclectic Musical Journey,” featuring Curtis Teague and Loretta Simonet, acoustic folk music duo playing traditional Celtic tunes, American folk songs, original music and familiar old-time songs at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and open to the public.
- Girls Soccer: Sturgis at 4 p.m. (T)
- USD Women’s Volleyball vs. IPFW at 7 p.m. in the DakotaDome.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 28
- Neighbor to Neighbor Food Drive: Wal-Mart stores traditionally hold a food drive for Food Pantries in South Dakota in September. Foods may be purchased and left in bins in Wal-Mart stores Saturday, Sept. 28 and Sunday, Sept. 29 for local Food Pantries to pick up and use. Last year, the Vermillion Food Pantry fed over 4,600 people. The Vermillion Food Pantry welcomes community support to help replenish their shelves.
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at Ratingen Platz, corner of Market and Main streets, 9 a.m.-noon. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- Marching Band at DSU at 10 a.m.
- Girls Soccer: Belle Fourche at 11 a.m. (T)
- Boys Soccer: Sturgis at 1 p.m. (T)
- Pat Angling will be having a display of his paintings at the W.H. Over Museum in Vermillion from Sept. 16 through Sept. 28. There will be a reception on Sept. 28 from 2-4 p.m. in Sletwold Hall at the museum.
- Cameron Walter Benefit Fundraiser at the Eagles. Dinner and bake sale 5-7 p.m. Live auction at 7 p.m. Fundraiser for Cameron Walter, 2 years old, who is fighting lymphoma and receiving weekly chemotherapy treatments in Sioux Falls at the Castle. Monetary donations or a donation for the Silent Auction can be dropped off at Vermillion Hospital front desk or call Laurie Kruse, 624-5458.
SUNDAY, SEPT. 29
- Join Team Vermillion to walk in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on Sunday, Sept. 29 at Falls Park in Sioux Falls. Go to www.komensouthdakota.org/race and join Team Vermillion. Reserve your $10 seat on the bus by contacting Barb Campbell at 624-4626 or e-mail email@example.com by Sept. 13.
- USD Women’s Volleyball vs. IUPUI at 1 p.m. at DakotaDome.
MONDAY, SEPT. 30
- South Dakota Manufacturing Week will be celebrated Sept. 30-Oct. 4 and it will culminate with National Manufacturers Day on Oct. 4. The Governors Office of Economic Development is working on events across the state to help raise awareness of what this industry does for the state.
- Vermillion High School Picture Day.
- Boys Golf: Region 2A at Hartford.
Girls Tennis: Mitchell at 4 p.m. (T)
- Dean’s Lecture Series at 4 p.m., Beacom Hall, Beacom School of Business featuring Bruce Nolop, former CFO of Pitney Bowes and ETrade Financial. Open to the public at no charge.
- Volleyball: Wagner at 5 p.m. (H)
- Comedian Rob Little at 8 p.m., Aalfs Auditorium in Slagle Hall on USD campus. Hosted by CAB/Dakota Days Exec Board. Open to the public.
TUESDAY, OCT. 1
- HealthySD Stakeholders Workshop at Red Rossa Italian Grille Conference Center, Pierre, SD, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Featuring Mark Fenton, nationally known public health, healthy community design and walkability consultant. Communities encouraged to bring a multi-disciplinary team to the free workshop. To register or for more information, contact Beth A. Davis, (605) 280-2429 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
- Royalty Reveal followed by Pep Rally at 7 p.m., Aalfs Auditorium in Slagle Hall. Come watch Dakota Days Homecoming Royalty be revealed followed by a Pep Rally led by our very own Coach Glenn. Open to the public. See http://www.usd.edu/dakotadays/.
WEDNESDAY, OCT. 2
- Drive-thru clinic. On-the-spot flu shots at Sanford Vermillion parking lot, 15 S. Plum St. from 4-6 p.m. Sanford Health Plan insurance and Medicare accepted. Free for age 18 and younger provided by State of SD. Adult Flu shot: $20.
THURSDAY, OCT. 3
- Vermillion Area Farmers Market at the Clay County Fairgrounds from 3-7 p.m. For more information, call (605) 659-3399 or e-mail VAFarmersMarket@gmail.com.
- Vermillion Lions Club meeting at 6 p.m. at the W. H. Over Museum in Sletwold Hall.
- OCT. 4 – Free flu vaccine for age 18 or younger provided by the state of South Dakota at Sanford Vermillion, 102 S. Plum St. entrance from 7:30-9 a.m. Adult flu shot: $20. Sanford Health Plan insurance and Medicare accepted.
- OCT. 4 – Brown Bag Lunch Program: “Rock the Piano,” featuring Vermillion native, Adam Nelson at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and open to the public.
- OCT. 5 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 .S Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- OCT. 5 – Dakota Days Parade at 10 a.m.
- OCT. 5 – USD Homecoming: USD Football vs. Missouri State at 2 p.m. at the DakotaDome.
- OCT. 5 – “The Hay Country Jamboree” at 8 p.m. at Gayville Music Hall in Gayville. Featured musicians: Ervin Pickhinke, John and Susan McNeill, Owen DeJong and Nick Schwebach. For reservations, call (605) 267-2859.
- OCT. 8 – American Legion Wallace Post and Auxiliary meeting at 7 p.m. at the Main Street Center located at 320 W. Main Street.
- OCT. 9 – The fifth annual Tanager Volunteer Day. Thus far, plans include a full day of work starting around 8:45 a.m. and ending around 3 p.m. Students will work in groups of 12-15. For more information or to request volunteers, contact Lenni Billberg at Vermillion High School.
- OCT. 9 – Free flu vaccine for age 18 or younger provided by the state of South Dakota at the USD Wellness Center, 1031 University St. from 4-7 p.m. Adult flu shot: $20. Sanford Health Plan insurance and Medicare accepted.
- OCT. 11 – Free flu vaccine for age 18 or younger provided by the state of South Dakota at Sanford Vermillion, 20 S. Plum St., main lobby during blood pressure clinic from 7:30-9 a.m. Adult flu shot: $20. Sanford Health Plan insurance and Medicare accepted.
- OCT. 18 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 1024 West Cherry Street. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 16.
- OCT. 20 – St. Agnes Parish Fall Festival. Roast turkey dinner served from 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Raffles begin at 1 p.m. Youth group car raffle 1998 Chevy Malibu, Country Store, Silent Auction and more. Adults: $8; Youth under 10: $4.; Under 2 years free.
- OCT. 24 – USD Career and Graduate School Fair, Thursday, Oct. 24, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. in the Muenster University Center. To register: www.usd.edu/advising/career-and-graduate-school-fair.cfm. Sponsored by the Academic and Career Planning Center. For additional information, contact Heather Johnson: email@example.com or (605) 677-5381.