Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Veterans Day Holiday, Monday, Nov. 11. The VCDC office will be closed.
The Special Events Committee for the Vermillion Area Chamber and Development Company (VCDC) is sponsoring the fifth annual “Parade of Lights” in Downtown Vermillion on Friday, Dec. 6 at 6:30 p.m. Vermillion area merchants, businesses, schools and organizations are encouraged to put together a float or entry for the parade. The theme is “The Spirit of Christmas,” so get your creativity flowing and enter. First, second and third places will be awarded. Entry forms can be found on the VCDC Web site, www.vermillionchamber.com, or at the Chamber office at 116 Market St. Deadline to enter is Dec. 2.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
FRIDAY, NOV. 8
- TBA-Oral Interp/Debate: Sioux Falls Washington (T)
- Brown Bag Lunch Program featuring Folk/Americana musician: Dennis Warner at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and open to the public.
- Swimming and Diving meet, DakotaDome, 6 p.m.
- Real Talk: An Open and Honest Dialogue. Come join The Union of African American Students in Aalfs auditorium, Slagle Hall at 7 p.m. This event is free and open to anyone. A panel discussion about building a safe and inclusive community. The panel will be comprised of members of various student groups on the USD campus. The discussion will be moderated by USD faculty and/or staff.
SATURDAY, NOV. 9
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- USD Football vs. Montana, DakotaDome at 1 p.m.
- “Wine and Whiskers”: Heartland Humane Society (HHS) fundraiser, 6:30-10 p.m. at Yankton Minerva’s Event Center. Tickets on sale now – purchase at HHS in Yankton, or call (605) 664-4244. Join HHS for live music, wine and beer tasting, auction, amazing food and so much more.
- TBA-Football Playoffs Semi-Finals.
- TBA-Debate: Sioux Falls Roosevelt (T)
SUNDAY, NOV. 10
- East River and Missouri Valley Bluegrass Music Association to feature “Monthly Open Jam” (second Sunday of each month) from 1-6 p.m. at Washington Street Arts Center, 202 Washington St. All levels welcome-open to pickers and listeners. Event is free and open to the public. For more information, call (877) 621-4118.
MONDAY, NOV. 11
- Veterans Day Holiday, no school at USD.
- Oral Interp Region Qualifier at Vermillion High School Library from 4-8 p.m.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, NOV. 12
- American Legion Wallace Post and Auxiliary meeting at 7 p.m., Main Street Center, 320 W. Main St.
THURSDAY, NOV. 14
- South Dakota State Football Championships, Thursday-Saturday, Nov. 14-16 at the DakotaDome.
- On Thursday, Nov. 14, students will learn about historic Deadwood from Joanna Jones, one of the authors of “Henry’s Adventure at the Franklin Hotel.” It tells the story of the days leading up to the grand opening of the Franklin Hotel in 1903 from the perspective of 10-year-old Henry, whose father is the hotel manager. The book is one of this year’s Prairie Pasque nominees. The Prairie Pasque Contest, as well as the Prairie Bud Contest will be briefly discussed prior to Jones’ presentation and all the contest books will be available from the library. Jones is from Spearfish. She is an educator, an enthusiastic advocate of children’s literature, and a former member of the Prairie Pasque/Prairie Bud Committee of the South Dakota Library Association. This program takes place in the Kozak Community Room at the Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library from 3:45-5 p.m. and is part of our Books and Authors programming for children. Snacks will be served and door prizes will be awarded. Registration is not required. For more information, contact the library at (605) 677-7060 or email@example.com.
- NOV. 16 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- NOV. 16 – Santa’s Shack Gifts and Craft Festival from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at Wakonda School Gym.
- NOV. 16 – Sharing the Dream in Guatemala Open House “Come and See” event with Diana Ramirez, Guatemala Coordinator. Come and learn how to make homemade tortillas. Everyone is welcome.
- NOV. 18 – International Forum: “Still Vulnerable to OPEC?” at noon, Farber Hall located in Old Main on USD campus. Participants will be Dr. Dennis Johnson (Economics) and Dr. Benno Wymar (Economics and past visiting professor at Saudi Arabia’s University of Petroleum and Minerals). Moderator: Prof. Greg Huckabee (International Business Law). The event is sponsored by the (USD) Beacom School of Business.
- NOV. 19 – Education session on Long-Term care offered by the SD Dept. of Social Services including information on costs, how to plan for long-term care needs, what Medicare and Medicaid will cover, etc. An hour-long educational session will be held at the Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library, 18 Church St. at 2 p.m. Sessions are free and open to the public. For a complete session schedule, visit: www.ltcpartnership.sd.gov/educationsessions.aspx/
Wednesday, November 20
The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP), Wednesday, Nov. 20 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 1024 West Cherry Street. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Monday, November 18.
Tuesday, January 7…
The 31st Annual Dakota Farm Show is Tuesday-Thursday, Jan. 7, 8, and 9 at the Dakota Dome. Hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday and 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Thursday Free admission and free parking. For more information please go to www.farmshowsusa.com. For vendor information please call Penny Swank at 507-437-7969.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber
Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. A
listing of events is also available at: www.vermillionchamber.com/calendar.php and includes
links to USD and Public School events.