Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
The Special Events Committee for the Vermillion Area Chamber and Development Company (VCDC) is sponsoring the fifth annual “Parade of Lights” in Downtown Vermillion on Friday, Dec. 6, at 6:30 p.m. Vermillion area merchants, businesses, schools and organizations are encouraged to put together a float or entry for the parade. The theme is “The Spirit of Christmas,” so get your creativity flowing and enter. First, second and third places will be awarded. Entry forms can be found at www.vermillionchamber.com or at the Chamber office at 116 Market St. Deadline to enter is Dec. 2.
At the end of the parade, Santa and Mrs. Claus will light the community Christmas tree at Ratingen Platz on the corner of Market and Main streets. After the tree lighting, children and parents are invited to the Vermillion Library for “Stockings for Soldiers,” an opportunity to make a free ornament to take home, and to decorate a stocking for a soldier serving overseas, sponsored by the Vermillion Public Library. For more information, call the VCDC office at (605) 624-5571.
Children 11 and under are encouraged to enter a coloring contest for a chance to have “Lunch with Santa”, sponsored by HyVee, on Saturday, Dec. 7 at 11:30 a.m. at HyVee and meet him before Christmas. Coloring pages will be available at the public schools, daycare centers, HyVee and the VCDC office at 116 Market St. The coloring entries must be received by Nov. 25.
Also on Saturday, Dec. 7, from 12:30-2:30 p.m., bring the children for free pictures with Santa at HyVee by Peterman Photography. For more information please call the VCDC office at (605) 624-5571.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at email@example.com or at 624-5571.
A wreath-decorating contest sponsored by Dakota Hospital Foundation. Participants may submit a live or artificial wreath up to 26” in diameter decorated to your personal style or theme of choice. Decorated wreaths with registration form must be submitted on Wednesday, Dec. 4, 8 a.m.-7 p.m. at Sanford Vermillion, 102 S. Plum St. (or call ahead to make other arrangements). Wreaths will be auctioned at the Dakota Hospital Foundation Tree of Lights Open House, Thursday, Dec. 5 from 5-7 p.m.
FRIDAY, NOV. 22
- Rob Kapilow and the Rawlins Piano Trio, “What Makes it Great? Exploring Beethoven’s Archduke Trio,” at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets.
- Swimming and diving, 4 p.m. at the DakotaDome.
- Reception for “The Written Word” from 5-7:30 p.m. at John A. Day Gallery, Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts.
- Winery After Hours Party at Valiant Vineyards, 1500 W. Main St., with live music by T-Wilson King from 6-8 p.m. followed by open mic.
- Vermillion High School Fall Show at High School Performing Arts Center featuring performances by Rhythm in Red Show Choir, Friday and Saturday, Nov. 22 and 23 at 7 p.m. Includes solo, group, vocal and dance performances. Tickets available at the door: $5 for adults and $3 for students K-12.
- Come to Jamnesty at Raziel’s, 13 W. Main St. Enjoy different kinds of music, mixers, microphones and speakers for all musicians will be provided by the owner of Raziel’s. All donated proceeds go to the Amnesty International fund. Free.
SATURDAY, NOV. 23
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- Heartland Humane Society (HHS) to host annual Pet Photos at Slumberland Furniture on Broadway St. in Yankton from 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Photographer for event is Jamie Selves Families or individuals wanting to get their photo taken (with or without pets) can call HHS at (605) 664-4244 to schedule an appointment. Slumberland Furniture is coordinating a pet photo contest in conjunction with the event. Participants will have a chance to win a prize package for the best photo. Cost is $30 for first pose; $15 for each additional pose. Participants receive a CD of their photos with a photographer release.
- ReDiscover Robert Aldern – A South Dakota Original exhibition of Giclee of favorites on display at LumoStudios and Gallery, 2 East Main St. Reception: Saturday, Nov. 23, 4:30-7 p.m. On display in November, Wednesday-Saturday, 1:30-5 p.m. and December, Wednesday-Saturday, 1:30-6:30 p.m. and by appointment, (605) 624-9222. Visit www.lumostudios.com for more information.
SUNDAY, NOV. 24
- USD Women’s Basketball vs. Boise State at 2 p.m. at the DakotaDome.
- USD Theatre Dept. presents “Les Misėrables” at 2 p.m. at Wayne S. Knutson Theatre, Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts. Call 677-5418 for ticket information.
- USD Chamber Orchestra at 7 p.m. at Colton Recital Hall, Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts.
MONDAY, NOV. 25
- Alzheimer’s Association support group meeting for caregivers of loved ones with Alzheimers or memory loss at 7 p.m., Vermillion Public Library conference room. For more information, call Fern at 624-4898 or Marilyn at 934-2534.
- The SOUND’s Year-End Spectacular (USD’s Marching Band) to perform at 7:30 p.m. at Slagle Hall/Aalfs Auditorium.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
- Girls basketball practice starts.
TUESDAY, NOV. 26
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
- Seventh- and eighth-grade girls basketball vs. Dakota Valley at 4:30 p.m. (H)
- NOV. 30 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- NOV. 30 – Holiday Open House at Valiant Vineyards, 1500 W. Main St., noon-5 p.m. Featuring holiday spiced wine, vendors, cookie decorating for kids, and cooking with wine for the Holidays demonstration. Admission is a can of food or donation for local food pantry.
- DEC. 6 – Tour of Homes: “Joyful Traditions” hosted by Clay County Historical Society, 4:30-8 p.m. Featured homes: Erin/John Beyers-216 Forest Ave; Michelle Kanto Nelson-122 N.Yale; Virginia Talley-121 S. University; Joanne/Mel Ustad-937 Ridgecrest Dr.; Sandy/Ross Dickenson-16 Cypress Dr.; Austin-Whittemore House-15 Austin St. (complimentary refreshments served at this location).
- DEC. 8 – Christmas Festival hosted by W. H. Over Museum from 1-4:30 p.m. Everyone welcome to come enjoy the vendors, bake sale, children’s activities, dancers, baton twirlers, decorated trees, wonderful refreshments and hospitality.
- DEC. 13 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 504 River Dr., North Sioux City, Friday, Dec. 13 from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 242-5445 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 11.
- DEC. 14 – Sweets and Treats hosted by Clay County Historical Society, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Austin-Whittemore House, 15 Austin St. A holiday open house to come and select homemade Christmas goodies.
Friday, December 20
The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 West Cherry St., Friday, Dec. 20, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 18.
Tuesday, January 7…
The 31st Annual Dakota Farm Show is Tuesday-Thursday, Jan. 7, 8, and 9 at the Dakota Dome. Hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday and 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Thursday Free admission and free parking. For more information please go to www.farmshowsusa.com. For vendor information please call Penny Swank at 507-437-7969.
Sunday, June 22-Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Scandinavia Adult Tour-2014: tour will visit Bergan and Oslo, Norway, Copenhagen, Denmark, Stockholm, Sweden, Helsinki, Finland, Tallinn, Estonia, and conclude in St. Petersburg, Russia. Depart Sioux Falls on June 22 and return July 8, 2014. If interested, email: Lenni.Billberg@k12.sd.us or call (605) 670-2717
July 13- July 27, 2015
Best of South Africa tour: Africa Tour will visit The Gold Reef, The Panorama Route to Mpumalanga, Kruger National Park, The city of Johannesburg, and then fly to Cape Town. The tours are cultural, historical, and educational and will be guided by a local tour director. A safari game viewing tour will conclude the two week adventure. We are also doing some mission work with the village of Shangaan (educational and health) so if there are ministerial ideas (small new testament bibles… pencils, books) or health ideas (toothbrush, hygiene supplies) please contact me. We depart from Sioux Falls on July 13 and return to Sioux Falls on July 27. If interested, email: Carla.McMurry-Kozak@k12.sd.us or firstname.lastname@example.org
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber
Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at email@example.com.
A listing of events is also available at: www.vermillionchamber.com/calendar.php and includes
links to USD and Public School events.