Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Please help us in welcoming the VCDC’s newest employee, Skye Bork. Skye is a graduate of The University of South Dakota with a degree in Contemporary Media and Journalism and will be serving as Economic Development and Communications Assistant replacing Maureen Cashin. She will work on a part-time basis initially, and will assume the role full-time beginning in mid-December. Skye can be contacted by calling the VCDC office at 624-5571 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Special Events Committee for the Vermillion Area Chamber & Development Company (VCDC) is sponsoring the fifth annual Parade of Lights in Downtown Vermillion on Friday, Dec. 6, at 6:30 p.m. Vermillion area merchants, businesses, schools and organizations are encouraged to put together a float or entry for the parade. The theme is “The Spirit of Christmas”, so get your creativity flowing and enter. First, second and third places will be awarded. Entry forms can be found on the VCDC website, www.vermillionchamber.com, or at the Chamber office at 116 Market St. Deadline to enter is Dec. 2.
At the end of the parade, Santa and Mrs. Claus will light the community Christmas tree at Ratingen Platz on the corner of Market and Main Streets. After the tree lighting, children and parents are invited to the Vermillion Library for Stockings for Soldiers, an opportunity to make a free ornament to take home, and to decorate a stocking for a soldier serving overseas, sponsored by the Vermillion Public Library. For more information, call the VCDC office at (605) 624-5571.
On Saturday, Dec. 7, from 12:30-2:30 p.m., bring the children for free pictures with Santa at HyVee by Peterman Photography. For more information, call the VCDC office at (605) 624-5571.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at email@example.com or at 624-5571.
Wreath decorating contest sponsored by Dakota Hospital Foundation. Participants may submit a live or artificial wreath up to 26 inches in diameter decorated to your personal style or theme of choice. Decorated wreaths with registration form must be submitted on Wednesday, Dec. 4, 8 a.m.-7 p.m. at Sanford Vermillion, 102 S. Plum St. (or call ahead to make other arrangements). Contest details and registration form available at: sanfordvermillion.org. Wreaths will be auctioned at the Dakota Hospital Foundation Tree of Lights Open House, Thursday, Dec. 5 from 5-7 p.m.
Dakota PC Warehouse is celebrating Small Business Saturday with inviting customers to register for the Classic Hits 106.3 Cash Cube. Sign up now; we will call the winners on Wednesday to get them in the Cube on Saturday while we broadcast live from 10 a.m.-noon. Win big money and take advantage of Dakota PC Warehouse GREAT SPECIALS. See their ad in the Equalizer for details.
The Downtown Merchants are joining together to collect dollars for the local food pantry – each dollar donation gives you a chance at winning the downtown gift basket (more than $800 value). The drawing will be held at noon, Friday, Dec. 20. One hundred percent of the proceeds go to the food pantry.
Volunteers are needed to help with ringing the bell for the Salvation Army from Nov. 29 through Dec. 22 at both doors at Wal-Mart and also at HyVee and Ace. Teams of two for two-hour shifts are need for following times: Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 3-8 p.m.; Saturday from 9 a.m.-8 p.m.; Sunday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
Contact UCC Church at 624-3120 or firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. Ninety percent of the funds collected stay in Vermillion to assist with emergency needs of the community.
SATURDAY, NOV. 30
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- Holiday Open House at Valiant Vineyards, 1500 W. Main St., noon-5 p.m. Featuring holiday spiced wine, vendors, cookie decorating for kids, and cooking with wine for the Holidays demonstration. Admission: can of food or donation for local food pantry.
- USD Women’s Basketball vs. Wyoming at 5 p.m. at the DakotaDome.
- USD Men’s Basketball vs. Graceland, Saturday at 7:10 p.m. at the DakotaDome.
MONDAY, DEC. 2
- Boys basketball practice starts.
- B.F.A. Thesis Exhibitions, Dec. 2-14 at John A. Day Gallery in the Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts on USD campus. The gallery will feature work by students graduating with a BFA degree in the fall 2013 semester.
- USD Men’s Basketball vs. Utah Valley at 7:10 p.m. at the DakotaDome.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, DEC. 3
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
THURSDAY, DEC. 5
- Tree of Lights Open House and Wreath Auction at Al Neuharth Media Center on USD campus. Social and wreath display at 5 p.m.; auction begins at 6 p.m. Proceeds from Tree of Lights assist Dakota Hospital Foundation in supporting community wellness projects.
- Gather your friends and co-workers for a very special holiday party at the Vermillion Event Center, 912 N. Dakota St. We’ve taken the stress out of holiday party planning by doing it all for you—entertainment featuring Poker Alice with guest singer, Brenda George. Call 624-2657 for ticket information and to reserve your table.
- Vermillion Lions Club meeting at 6 p.m., W. H. Over Museum in Sletwold Hall.
- DEC. 6 – Brown Bag program featuring “Holiday Brass,” 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale. Free and open to the public.
- DEC. 6 – First Dakota National Bank invites the community to a holiday open house from 1-4 p.m. Register for door prizes while enjoying pie, coffee and punch. The First Dakota staff wishes you all a happy and safe holiday season.
- DEC. 6 – Tour of Homes: “Joyful Traditions” hosted by Clay County Historical Society, 4:30-8 p.m. Featured homes: Erin/John Beyers-216 Forest Ave; Michelle Kanto Nelson-122 N. Yale; Virginia Talley-121 S. University; Joanne/Mel Ustad-937 Ridgecrest Dr.; Sandy/Ross Dickenson-16 Cypress Dr.; Austin-Whittemore House-15 Austin St. (complimentary refreshments served at this location). Tickets are $10 and may be purchased at Nook ‘n Cranny, Vermillion Beauty Shop and the Austin-Whittemore House. All proceeds go to the Clay County Historical Society.
- DEC. 7 – St. Agnes School to host their fourth annual Breakfast with Santa. Everyone is invited to the St. Agnes School Gym from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Event includes French toast breakfast, pictures with Santa, kids crafts and activities, and Santa’s workshop featuring local vendors. Tickets available at the door. Join St. Agnes in the Christmas spirit of giving to those less fortunate. Bring a non-perishable food item to be donated to the Vermillion Food Pantry.
- DEC. 7 – “A Poker Alice Christmas” at 8 p.m., Gayville Hall, 502 Washington St. in Gayville, SD. For ticket information, call (605) 267-2859.
- DEC. 8 – Christmas Festival hosted by W. H. Over Museum 1-4:30 p.m. Everyone welcome to come enjoy the vendors, bake sale, children’s activities, dancers, baton twirlers, decorated trees, wonderful refreshments and hospitality.
- DEC. 14 – Sweets and Treats hosted by Clay County Historical Society, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Austin-Whittemore House, 15 Austin St. A holiday open house to come and select homemade Christmas goodies.
- DEC. 19 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 504 River Dr., North Sioux City, from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 242-5445 before 5 p.m., Monday, Dec. 16. (Previously scheduled for Dec. 13)
Friday, December 20
The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 West Cherry St., Friday, Dec. 20, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 18.
Tuesday, January 7…
The 31st Annual Dakota Farm Show is Tuesday-Thursday, Jan. 7, 8, and 9 at the Dakota Dome. Hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday and 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Thursday Free admission and free parking. For more information please go to www.farmshowsusa.com. For vendor information please call Penny Swank at 507-437-7969.
Sunday, June 22-Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Scandinavia Adult Tour-2014: tour will visit Bergan and Oslo, Norway, Copenhagen, Denmark, Stockholm, Sweden, Helsinki, Finland, Tallinn, Estonia, and conclude in St. Petersburg, Russia. Depart Sioux Falls on June 22 and return July 8, 2014. If interested, email: Lenni.Billberg@k12.sd.us or call (605) 670-2717
July 13- July 27, 2015
Best of South Africa tour: Africa Tour will visit The Gold Reef, The Panorama Route to Mpumalanga, Kruger National Park, The city of Johannesburg, and then fly to Cape Town. The tours are cultural, historical, and educational and will be guided by a local tour director. A safari game viewing tour will conclude the two week adventure. We are also doing some mission work with the village of Shangaan (educational and health) so if there are ministerial ideas (small new testament bibles… pencils, books) or health ideas (toothbrush, hygiene supplies) please contact me. We depart from Sioux Falls on July 13 and return to Sioux Falls on July 27. If interested, email: Carla.McMurry-Kozak@k12.sd.us or email@example.com
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber
Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A listing of events is also available at: www.vermillionchamber.com/calendar.php and includes
links to USD and Public School events.