Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
The Special Events Committee for the Vermillion Area Chamber and Development Company (VCDC) is sponsoring the fifth annual “Parade of Lights” in Downtown Vermillion on Friday, Dec. 6 at 6:30 p.m. Vermillion area merchants, businesses, schools and organizations are encouraged to put together a float or entry for the parade. The theme is “The Spirit of Christmas”, so get your creativity flowing and enter. First, second and third places will be awarded. Entry forms can be found on the VCDC website, www.vermillionchamber.com, or at the Chamber office at 116 Market St. Deadline to enter was Dec. 2.
At the end of the parade, Santa and Mrs. Claus will light the community Christmas tree at Ratingen Platz on the corner of Market and Main Streets. After the tree lighting, children and parents are invited to the Vermillion Library for “Stockings for Soldiers,” an opportunity to make a free ornament to take home, and to decorate a stocking for a soldier serving overseas, sponsored by the Vermillion Public Library. For more information, call the VCDC office at (605) 624-5571.
On Saturday, Dec. 7, from 12:30-2:30 p.m., bring the children for free pictures with Santa at Hy-Vee by Peterman Photography. For more information, call the VCDC office at (605) 624-5571.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
Help fill the Vermillion Food Pantry shelves, Thursday-Sunday, Dec. 5-8. Buy a pre-filled $5 or $10 bag of Hy-Vee groceries to be given to the Vermillion Food Pantry. Food Pantry staff will be on hand in the store to assist and help with questions. More than 4,800 clients served in 2013.
The Downtown merchants are joining together to collect dollars for the local food pantry – each dollar donation gives you a chance at winning the downtown gift basket (a more than $800 value). The Drawing will be held at noon, Friday, Dec. 20. One hundred percent of the proceeds go to the food pantry.
ReDiscover Robert Aldern – A South Dakota Original exhibition of Giclee of favorites on display at LumoStudios and Gallery, 2 East Main St. On display Wednesday-Saturday, 1:30-6:30 p.m. and by appointment, (605) 624-9222; www.lumostudios.com.
FRIDAY, DEC. 6
- State Oral Interp at Watertown, Friday and Saturday, Dec. 6 and 7 (TBA)
- Brown Bag program featuring “Holiday Brass” at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale. Free and open to the public.
- First Dakota National Bank invites the community to a holiday open house from 1-4 p.m. Register for door prizes while enjoying pie, coffee and punch. The First Dakota staff wishes you all a happy and safe holiday season.
- Bowling: Sioux Falls O’Gorman (Home at Yankton Family Fun Center) at 4 p.m.
- Tour of Homes: “Joyful Traditions” hosted by Clay County Historical Society, 4:30-8 p.m. Featured homes: Erin/John Beyers-216 Forest Ave; Michelle Kanto Nelson-122 N. Yale; Virginia Talley-121 S. University; Joanne/Mel Ustad-937 Ridgecrest Dr.; Sandy/Ross Dickenson-16 Cypress Dr.; Austin-Whittemore House-15 Austin St. (complimentary refreshments served at this location). Tickets are $10 and may be purchased at Nook ‘n Cranny, Vermillion Beauty Shop and the Austin-Whittemore House. All proceeds go to the Clay County Historical Society.
- Dance Inferno Dance Recital at Vermillion High School, Friday, Dec. 6 at 7 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 8 at 3 p.m. at Vermillion High School.
- USD Symphony Orchestra at 7:30 p.m., Aalfs Auditorium in Slagle Hall. Free admission.
SATURDAY, DEC. 7
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- St. Agnes School to host their fourth annual Breakfast with Santa in the St. Agnes School Gym from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Event includes French Toast Breakfast, Pictures with Santa, Kids Crafts and Activities, and Santa’s Workshop featuring great local vendors. Tickets available at the door. Join St. Agnes in the Christmas spirit of giving to those less fortunate. Bring a non-perishable food item to be donated to the Vermillion Food Pantry.
- Wrestling: Sioux Falls Roosevelt at 9 a.m. (T)
- At 11:30 a.m., winners of coloring contest sponsored by Hy-Vee have “Lunch with Santa.”
- Junior Baritone Recital featuring Brian Rasmussen at 3 p.m., Colton Recital Hall located in Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts on USD campus.
- Truran Piano Scholars Recital at 7:30 p.m. in Colton Recital Hall located in Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts on USD campus.
- “A Poker Alice Christmas” at 8 p.m., Gayville Hall, 502 Washington St. in Gayville. For ticket information, call (605) 267-2859.
- Winter Formal at Vermillion High School from 8:30-11 p.m.
SUNDAY, DEC. 8
- Christmas Festival hosted by W. H. Over Museum from 1-4:30 p.m. Everyone welcome to come enjoy the vendors, bake sale, children’s activities, dancers, baton twirlers, decorated trees, wonderful refreshments and hospitality.
- East River and Missouri Valley Bluegrass Music Association to feature “Monthly Open Jam,” (second Sunday of each month) from 1-6 p.m. at Washington Street Arts Center, 202 Washington St. All levels welcome-open to pickers and listeners. Event is free and open to the public. For more information, call (877) 621-4118 (toll free).
- USD Music Department Holiday Concert at 3 p.m., Aalfs Auditorium located in Slagle Hall on USD campus. Goodwill donations will be taken at the door. Proceeds go the USD Music Scholarship fund.
MONDAY, DEC. 9
- Junior Trumpet Recital featuring Jordan Hoffman at 7 p.m., Colton Recital Hall located in Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts.
- Vermillion High School Holiday Concert at 7:30 p.m.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, DEC. 10
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference Room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
- DEC. 14 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- DEC. 14 – Sweets and Treats hosted by Clay County Historical Society, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Austin-Whittemore House, 15 Austin St. A holiday open house to come and select homemade Christmas goodies.
- DEC. 19 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 504 River Dr., North Sioux City from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 242-5445 before 5 p.m., Monday, Dec. 16. (Previously scheduled for Dec. 13)
Friday, December 20
The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 West Cherry St., Vermillion, Friday, Dec. 20, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 18.
Tuesday, January 7…
The 31st Annual Dakota Farm Show is Tuesday-Thursday, Jan. 7, 8, and 9 at the Dakota Dome. Hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday and 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Thursday Free admission and free parking. For more information please go to www.farmshowsusa.com. For vendor information please call Penny Swank at 507-437-7969.
Sunday, June 22-Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Scandinavia Adult Tour-2014: tour will visit Bergan and Oslo, Norway, Copenhagen, Denmark, Stockholm, Sweden, Helsinki, Finland, Tallinn, Estonia, and conclude in St. Petersburg, Russia. Depart Sioux Falls on June 22 and return July 8, 2014. If interested, email: Lenni.Billberg@k12.sd.us or call (605) 670-2717
July 13- July 27, 2015
Best of South Africa tour: Africa Tour will visit The Gold Reef, The Panorama Route to Mpumalanga, Kruger National Park, The city of Johannesburg, and then fly to Cape Town. The tours are cultural, historical, and educational and will be guided by a local tour director. A safari game viewing tour will conclude the two week adventure. We are also doing some mission work with the village of Shangaan (educational and health) so if there are ministerial ideas (small new testament bibles… pencils, books) or health ideas (toothbrush, hygiene supplies) please contact me. We depart from Sioux Falls on July 13 and return to Sioux Falls on July 27. If interested, email: Carla.McMurry-Kozak@k12.sd.us or email@example.com
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber
Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A listing of events is also available at: www.vermillionchamber.com/calendar.php and includes
links to USD and Public School events.