Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
A holiday gift from the Chamber members to the community: The VCDC is conducting a Vermillion Bucks sale. We are offering $10,000 in Vermillion Bucks available for purchase in $100 bundles of $20 denominations at the discounted rate of $85 per bundle. This equates to an immediate discount of 15 percent off on all products and services in Vermillion. They can be purchased at the VCDC office at 116 Market St. Limited to two bundles per family.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at email@example.com or 624-5571.
Veterans’ Holiday Homeless Relief Drive hosted in partnership with Department of SD American Legion Auxiliary, American Legion Post 15 of Sioux Falls and Autumn Simunek, Miss Siouxland. Help provide a comfortable Holiday Season to our Veterans and military families in need. All community members, businesses, organizations or students are encouraged to participate. The school or youth organization contributing the most American Legion Auxiliary Buddy Baskets or relief items will receive a telescoping flagpole and USA Flag, which will be presented by their local American Legion and American Legion Auxiliary Post and Autumn Simunek. Please e-mail a photo of the relief items collected standing with your group, along with an estimated value of the donation and a contact name and phone number to Autumn.Simunek@gmail.com.
Drop off contribution items through Jan. 2, 2014, at The Broadcaster/Plain Talk, 201 W. Cherry St. Assemble a “Buddy Basket(s)”wrapped in clear wrap, bow and greeting tag/card with paper towels, bathroom tissue, window/scrubbing cleaner, rubber gloves, sponge, dust pan/broom, light bulbs, shower curtain w/rings, bath towels, laundry detergent, eating utensils, dishes or contribute single Item(s) of need or make a monetary donation(s) payable to American Legion Post 15, Attn: Veterans Build, 1701 Legion Drive, Sioux Falls, SD 57106.
The Clay-Union Foundation is seeking donations to support its community service scholarship, offered to a graduating senior with outstanding community service. Elly Miiller from Vermillion high school was this year’s recipient. Donations can be made in several ways. Non-cash donations of grain can be made before it’s sold at SE Farmers, Ag Opportunities and at Akron. Just designate the bushels before the sale, as there will be no federal tax liability. The proceeds will be sent to the program, and help with providing a local scholarship. Business, individual and organization donations may be made payable to the Clay-Union Foundation and mailed to John Gille, 31911 3rd Ave., Elk Point, SD 57025. Charter memberships are also available. Contact John at (605) 421-5050 to learn more about helping the scholarship program.
The Downtown Merchants are joining together to collect dollars for the local food pantry – each dollar donation gives you a chance at winning the downtown gift basket (a more than $800 value). The drawing will be held at noon, Friday, Dec. 20. One hundred percent of the proceeds go to the food pantry.
FRIDAY, DEC. 13
- Bowling: Roosevelt (Home-Yankton Family Fun) at 4 p.m.
- Girls Basketball: Bon Homme at 5 p.m. (T)
- Wrestling at 5:30 p.m. (H)
- TBA-Debate: Des Moines Dowling, IA, Friday and Saturday, Dec. 13 and 14 (T)
SATURDAY, DEC. 14
- ACT Test at Vermillion High School at 8 a.m.
- 7th-8th Grade Girls Basketball Tournament in Elk Point at 9 a.m.
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- USD Commencement at 10 a.m. at the DakotaDome.
- Gymnastics: Wagner at noon (T)
- TBA-Debate: Sioux Falls Roosevelt (T)
- Sweets and Treats hosted by Clay County Historical Society, 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at the Austin-Whittemore House, 15 Austin St. A holiday open house to come and select homemade Christmas goodies.
- USD Men’s Basketball vs. Green Bay at 7 p.m. at the DakotaDome.
SUNDAY, DEC. 15
- Piano recital: Christopher Larson presents his graduate collaborative piano recital at 4 p.m., Colton Recital Hall located in Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts. Open to the public at no charge.
MONDAY, DEC. 16
- Fifth Grade Concert at 7 p.m. at Vermillion High School.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
THURSDAY, DEC. 19
- Cancellation: The Department of Labor and Regulation Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 504 River Drive, North Sioux City, has been cancelled.
- Vermillion Lions Club meeting at 6 p.m. at W. H. Over Museum, Sletwold Hall.
- “Wound-Wound” includes work of two contemporary textile artists. View the exhibit at John A. Day Gallery in the Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts from Dec. 19-Jan. 30, 2014
- DEC. 20 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 W. Cherry St., Vermillion, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 18.
- DEC. 21 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- DEC. 21 – Vermillion Area Farmer’s Winter Market from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at 4-H/Extension Building. For more information, call (605) 659-3399.
- JAN. 7-9 – The 31st Annual Dakota Farm Show is Tuesday-Thursday, Jan. 7, 8, and 9 at the Dakota Dome. Hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Thursday Free admission and free parking. For more information please go to www.farmshowsusa.com. For vendor information, call Penny Swank at (507) 437-7969.
Scandinavia Adult Tour-2014: tour will visit Bergan and Oslo, Norway, Copenhagen, Denmark, Stockholm, Sweden, Helsinki, Finland, Tallinn, Estonia, and conclude in St. Petersburg, Russia. Depart Sioux Falls on June 22 and return July 8, 2014. If interested, e-mail: Lenni.Billberg@k12.sd.us or call (605) 670-2717
July 13- July 27, 2015
Best of South Africa tour: Africa Tour will visit The Gold Reef, The Panorama Route to Mpumalanga, Kruger National Park, The city of Johannesburg, and then fly to Cape Town. The tours are cultural, historical, and educational and will be guided by a local tour director. A safari game viewing tour will conclude the two week adventure. We are also doing some mission work with the village of Shangaan (educational and health) so if there are ministerial ideas (small new testament bibles pencils, books) or health ideas (toothbrush, hygiene supplies) please contact me. We depart from Sioux Falls on July 13 and return to Sioux Falls on July 27. If interested, e-mail: Carla.McMurry-Kozak@k12.sd.us or firstname.lastname@example.org
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber
Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
A listing of events is also available at: www.vermillionchamber.com/calendar.php and includes
links to USD and Public School events.