Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Ann at email@example.com or at 624-5571.
Veteran’s Holiday Homeless Relief Drive through Jan. 15: Please join the Department of South Dakota American Legion Auxiliary (ALA) and Miss Siouxland in providing a comfortable Holiday Season and New Year’s to our Veterans and military families. Your contributions of an ALA “Buddy Basket” filled with household relief items or donation of any single household or hygiene item, or shopping gift cards are needed. You can drop-off relief items through Jan. 15 at The Broadcaster/Plain Talk, 201 W. Cherry Street, Vermillion or Berakhah House, 400 N. Western Avenue, Sioux Falls. If you are wishing to support The American Legion Post 15 Veterans Build – South Dakota Homeless Housing Fund, please mail your contribution to American Legion Post 15, 1701 Legion Drive Sioux Falls, SD 57106. The school systems or youth organizations raising the most in relief items will receive a telescoping flagpole and USA Flag. For further information, e-mail Autumn.Simunek@gmail.com.
The Downtown merchants are joining together to collect dollars for the local food pantry – each dollar donation gives you a chance at winning the downtown gift basket (over $800 value). The Drawing will be held at noon, Friday, Dec. 20. One hundred percent of proceeds go to the food pantry
The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 W. Cherry St., Vermillion, Friday, Dec. 20, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, Dec. 18.
FRIDAY, DEC. 20
- Early dismissal at Vermillion Public Schools at 2 p.m.
- Girls Basketball: Crofton, NE, at 5 p.m. (H)
- Debate: Brookings at 6 p.m. (T)
- Gymnastics: Sioux Falls Roosevelt/West Central at 6:30 p.m. (H)
SATURDAY, DEC. 21
- Debate: Brookings at 8 a.m. (T)
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- Vermillion Area Farmer’s Winter Market from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. at 4-H/Extension Building, For more information, call (605) 659-3399.
SUNDAY, DEC. 22
- Sugar Plum Fairy Tea presented by The Vermillion Area Dance Organization at Valiant Vineyards Winery. Tea sitting from 2-4 p.m. Enjoy refreshments and a live performance by Elisa Olson with Ballet Magnificat. Children attending receive a photo with the Sugar Plum Fairy. Tickets available at VADO Studio, 19A S. Plum St., Willson Florist, or the day of performance. For more information, call (605) 391-2705.
MONDAY, DEC. 23
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
- DEC. 28 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- JAN. 7-9 – The 31st Annual Dakota Farm Show is Tuesday-Thursday, Jan. 7, 8, and 9 at the Dakota Dome. Hours are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Thursday Free admission and free parking. For more information, go to www.farmshowsusa.com. For vendor information, call Penny Swank at (507) 437-7969.
- JUNE 22-JULY 8 – Scandinavia Adult Tour-2014: Tour will visit Bergan and Oslo, Norway, Copenhagen, Denmark, Stockholm, Sweden, Helsinki, Finland, Tallinn, Estonia and conclude in St. Petersburg, Russia. Depart Sioux Falls on June 22 and return July 8, 2014. If interested, e-mail Lenni.Billberg@k12.sd.us or call (605) 670-2717.
- JULY 13-27 – Best of South Africa tour: Africa Tour will visit The Gold Reef, The Panorama Route to Mpumalanga, Kruger National Park, The city of Johannesburg, and then fly to Cape Town. The tours are cultural, historical, and educational and will be guided by a local tour director. A safari game viewing tour will conclude the two-week adventure. The group is also doing some mission work with the village of Shangaan (educational and health). The group departs from Sioux Falls on July 13 and returns to Sioux Falls on July 27. If interested, e-mail Carla.McMurry-Kozak@k12.sd.us or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber
Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or e-mail us at email@example.com.
A listing of events is also available at: www.vermillionchamber.com/calendar.php and includes
links to USD and Public School events.