Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
Veterans’ Holiday Homeless Relief Drive through Jan. 15: Please join the Department of South Dakota American Legion Auxiliary (ALA) and Miss Siouxland in providing a comfortable Holiday Season and New Year’s to our Veterans and military families. Your contributions of an ALA “Buddy Basket” filled with household relief items or donation of any single household or hygiene item, or shopping gift cards are needed. You can drop-off relief items through Jan. 15 at The Broadcaster/Plain Talk, 201 W Cherry Street, Vermillion or Berakhah House, 400 N Western Avenue, Sioux Falls. If you are wishing to support The American Legion Post 15 Veterans Build – South Dakota Homeless Housing Fund, please mail your contribution to American Legion Post 15, 1701 Legion Drive Sioux Falls, SD 57106. The school systems or youth organizations raising the most in relief items will receive a telescoping flagpole and USA Flag. For further information, please e-mail Autumn.Simunek@gmail.com.
No School – Christmas Vacation at Vermillion Public Schools. Classes resume Tuesday, Jan. 7, 2014.
FRIDAY, DEC. 27
- Wrestling: Sioux Falls Lincoln at 11 a.m. (T)
SATURDAY, DEC. 28
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the boardroom.
- Wrestling: Sioux Falls Lincoln at 10 a.m. (T)
- Gymnastics: WinterWonderland Tournament at 11:30 a.m. (H)
MONDAY, DEC. 30
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, corner of Main and Linden. For more information, call 624-9764.
- TBA—Boys Basketball: Parkston (T)
- JAN. 3 – Boys/Girls Basketball: Tea at 4 p.m. (H)
- JAN. 4 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- JAN. 4 – Heartland Humane Society to host “Meet and Greet” dogs available for adoption from 10 am-noon at the former Yankton Motor Building located at 3400 E. Highway 50 in Yankton. All dogs available for adoption can be found on the shelter’s Web page at www.heartlandhumanesociety.net. Applications are also available at this webpage. For more information, call (605) 664-4244.
- JAN. 4 – Boys/Girls Basketball: Tri-Valley at 1 p.m. (H)
- JAN. 4 – USD Women’s Basketball vs. Cleveland State at 2 p.m. at the DakotaDome.
- JAN. 4 – USD Men’s Basketball vs. Iowa Wesleyan at 4 p.m. at the DakotaDome.
- JAN. 6 – No classes at Vermillion Public School, teacher in-service
- JAN. 7-9 – The 31st Annual Dakota Farm Show is Tuesday-Thursday, Jan. 7, 8, and 9 at the Dakota Dome. Hours are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday and 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Thursday Free admission and free parking. For more information, go to www.farmshowsusa.com. For vendor information please call Penny Swank at 507-437-7969.
- JAN. 7 – Boys Basketball: Elk Point/Jefferson at 5 p.m. (T)
- JAN. 7 – Wrestling: Dakota Valley at 5:30 p.m. (T)
- JAN. 9 – Girls Basketball: Canton at 4:30 p.m. (T)
- JAN. 9 – Boys Basketball: West Central at 5 p.m. (H)
- JAN. 10 – Bowling: Lincoln at 4 p.m. (H)
- JAN. 10 – Boys/Girls Basketball: Parkston at 5 p.m. (T)
- JAN. 11 – Wrestling: Brandon at 10:30 a.m. (T)
Gymnastics: Stanley County, Saturday, Jan. 11 at 11 a.m. (T)
Wednesday, January 29
Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 West Cherry Street, Wednesday, Jan. 29 from 9 am-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are: resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Monday, January 27th.
Sunday, June 22-Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Scandinavia Adult Tour-2014: tour will visit Bergan and Oslo, Norway, Copenhagen, Denmark, Stockholm, Sweden, Helsinki, Finland, Tallinn, Estonia, and conclude in St. Petersburg, Russia. Depart Sioux Falls on June 22 and return July 8, 2014. If interested, e-mail: Lenni.Billberg@k12.sd.us or call (605) 670-2717
July 13- July 27, 2015
Best of South Africa tour: Africa Tour will visit The Gold Reef, The Panorama Route to Mpumalanga, Kruger National Park, The city of Johannesburg, and then fly to Cape Town. The tours are cultural, historical, and educational and will be guided by a local tour director. A safari game viewing tour will conclude the two week adventure. We are also doing some mission work with the village of Shangaan (educational and health) so if there are ministerial ideas (small new testament bibles… pencils, books) or health ideas (toothbrush, hygiene supplies) please contact me. We depart from Sioux Falls on July 13 and return to Sioux Falls on July 27. If interested, e-mail: Carla.McMurry-Kozak@k12.sd.us or email@example.com
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber
Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A listing of events is also available at: www.vermillionchamber.com/calendar.php and includes
links to USD and Public School events.