Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
This Week’s Happenings:
Announcement: Veteran’s Holiday Homeless Relief Drive – help celebrate Christmas and ring in New Year’s 2014 for at risk homeless families. Join the Department of South Dakota American Legion Auxiliary, The American Legion Post 15, and Miss Siouxland in providing a comfortable Holiday Season and New Year’s to our veterans and military families in need throughout South Dakota. Contribute an American Legion Auxiliary (ALA) “Buddy Basket” filled with household relief items, a single household or hygiene item, shopping gift cards, or monetary donation through Jan. 15.
Drop-off/delivery location: The Broadcaster/Plain Talk, 201 W. Cherry St. Monetary donations can be mailed to American Legion Post 15, Veterans Build (South Dakota Homeless Housing Fund), 1701 Legion Drive, Sioux Falls, SD 57106 or The Cornerstone Rescue Mission, Attn: Vet Relief Drive, P.O. Box 2188, Rapid City, SD 57709.
The school systems or youth organizations raising the most in relief items will receive a telescoping flagpole and USA Flag. For further information, e-mail Autumn.Simunek@gmail.com.
ALA “Buddy Basket(s)” Home-warming Welcome Recipe: Assemble a Laundry Basket/Waste Basket filled with: Paper towels, bathroom tissue, window cleaner, scrubbing cleaner, rubber gloves, cleaning sponges, dust pan with hand broom, light bulbs, shower curtain with rings, bath towels, laundry detergent, eating utensils, dishes, frosted with clear wrap, bow and greeting tag/card.
Contribute single item(s) of need: Towels, sheets (single bed), shower curtains, alarm clocks, hygiene products (shampoo, deodorant, etc.), shopping gift cards, household kitchen items, winter coats, gloves and hats.
FRIDAY, JAN. 3
- Boys/Girls Basketball: Tea at 4 p.m. (H)
SATURDAY, JAN. 4
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- Heartland Humane Society to host “Meet and Greet” dogs available for adoption rom 10 a.m.-noon at the former Yankton Motor Building located at 3400 E. Highway 50 in Yankton. All dogs available for adoption can be found on the shelter’s Web page at www.heartlandhumanesociety.net. Applications are also available at this webpage. For more information, call (605) 664-4244.
- Boys/Girls Basketball: Tri-Valley at 1 p.m. (H)
- USD Women’s Basketball vs. Cleveland State at 2 p.m. at the DakotaDome.
- USD Men’s Basketball vs. Iowa Wesleyan at 4 p.m. at the DakotaDome.
MONDAY, JAN. 6
- No classes at Vermillion Public School. Teacher in-service.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, JAN. 7
- The 31st Annual Dakota Farm Show is Tuesday-Thursday, Jan. 7, 8, and 9 at the Dakota Dome. Hours are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Thursday. Free admission and free parking. For more information go to www.farmshowsusa.com. For vendor information call Penny Swank at (507) 437-7969.
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
- Boys Basketball: Elk Point/Jefferson at 5 p.m. (T)
- Wrestling: Dakota Valley at 5:30 p.m. (T)
THURSDAY, JAN. 9
- Girls Basketball: Canton at 4:30 p.m. (T)
- Boys Basketball: West Central at 5 p.m. (H)
- JAN. 10 – Bowling: Lincoln at 4 p.m. (H)
- JAN. 10 – Boys/Girls Basketball: Parkston at 5 p.m. (T)
- JAN. 11 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- JAN. 11 – Wrestling: Brandon at 10:30 a.m. (T)
- JAN. 11 – Gymnastics: Stanley County at 11 a.m. (T)
- JAN. 12 – Sunday Brunch at the Main Street Center (320 W. Main St.) from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Egg bake, biscuits and gravy, fruit and beverages for $8/person (under 5 years free).
- JAN. 12 – East River and Missouri Valley Bluegrass Music Association to feature “Monthly Open Jam” (second Sunday of each month) from 1-6 p.m. at Washington Street Arts Center, 202 Washington St. All levels welcome-open to pickers and listeners. Event is free and open to the public. For more information, call (877) 621-4118 (toll free).
- JAN. 16 – Vermillion Lions Club meeting, W. H. Over Museum in Sletwold Hall at 6 p.m.
- JAN. 29 – Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 W. Cherry St., Wednesday, Jan. 29, from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Monday, Jan. 27.
Sunday, June 22-Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Scandinavia Adult Tour-2014: tour will visit Bergan and Oslo, Norway, Copenhagen, Denmark, Stockholm, Sweden, Helsinki, Finland, Tallinn, Estonia, and conclude in St. Petersburg, Russia. Depart Sioux Falls on June 22 and return July 8, 2014. If interested, e-mail: Lenni.Billberg@k12.sd.us or call (605) 670-2717
July 13 – July 27, 2015
Best of South Africa tour: Africa Tour will visit The Gold Reef, The Panorama Route to Mpumalanga, Kruger National Park, The city of Johannesburg, and then fly to Cape Town. The tours are cultural, historical, and educational and will be guided by a local tour director. A safari game viewing tour will conclude the two week adventure. We are also doing some mission work with the village of Shangaan (educational and health) so if there are ministerial ideas (small new testament bibles… pencils, books) or health ideas (toothbrush, hygiene supplies) contact me. Depart from Sioux Falls July 13 and return to Sioux Falls July 27. If interested, e-mail: Carla.McMurry-Kozak@k12.sd.us or email@example.com
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber
Chat? If you do call us at 624-5571 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A listing of events is also available at: www.vermillionchamber.com/calendar.php and includes
links to USD and Public School events.