Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Save the Date
What: Vermillion Area Chamber and Development Company’s Annual Banquet & Vermillion NOW 2! Kickoff
When: Thursday, Feb. 6 at 5:30 p.m.
Where: Vermillion Event Center, 912 N. Dakota St.
Guest Speaker: Brendan Johnson – United States attorney
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 624-5571.
LumoStudios and Gallery exhibit: due to popular demand and the past cold weather The ReDiscover Robert Aldern works on display at LumoStudios, 2 E. Main St., will be on display until Feb.14. Hours: Wednesday-Saturday 1-5 p.m. and by appointment. For more information call (605) 624-9222 or e-mail email@example.com.
FRIDAY, JAN. 17
- Debate vs. Sioux Falls Lincoln at 3:30 p.m. (T)
- Bowling vs. Dell Rapids at 4 p.m. (T)
- Girls Basketball vs. Sioux City North at 4:30 p.m. (H)
- 7-8 Grade Boys Basketball vs. Canton at 4:40 p.m. (H)
- Boys Basketball vs. Lennox at 5 p.m. (T)
SATURDAY, JAN. 18
- Debate vs. Sioux Falls Lincoln at 8 a.m. (T)
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- All State Band Auditions at Sioux Falls at 9 a.m.
- Wrestling vs. Harrisburg at 10 a.m. (T)
- Swimming and diving meet at 1 p.m., DakotaDome.
- USD Men’s Basketball vs. Ft. Wayne at 4 p.m., DakotaDome.
- Senior Voice Recital featuring Jaren Mogen at 7 p.m., Farber Hall located in Old Main on USD campus.
SUNDAY, JAN. 19
- French toast breakfast fundraiser sponsored by St. Agnes Youth Group from 9-10:30 a.m. at St. Agnes Gym. Fundraiser for St. Agnes Youth Group winter trip to ski at Mt. Kato in Feb. Free-will offering at the door. For more information, contact Ray Hofman at 624-6457. Matching funds from Catholic United
MONDAY, JAN. 20
- Martin Luther King, Jr. National Day of Service from 1-4 p.m., Muenster University Center Grand Ballroom 225 on USD campus. Students, staff, faculty and community members will celebrate the memory of Martin Luther King, Jr., by participating in a day of service in the Vermillion community. To volunteer for the event register at http://tinyurl.com/USDMLK14. Event check-in begins at noon, followed by service projects from 1-4 p.m.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. For more information, call 624-9764.
- No classes at Vermillion Public Schools in observance of Martin Luther King Day.
TUESDAY, JAN. 21
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
WEDNESDAY, JAN. 22
- Adult program: “Fine Fiction Book Club: The Snow Child: A Novel by Eowyn Ivey,” at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library at 7 p.m.
THURSDAY, JAN. 23
- Kids After School at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library, “Lego Club,” 3:45-5 p.m.
- Adult program: Red Earth Co-op Film Series: “Fresh” (72 min.) at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library at 7 p.m. Open to the public at no charge – child care provided.
- JAN. 25 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- JAN. 25 – Teens Program at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library, “Mario Kart Tournament,” 2 p.m.
- JAN. 26 – Free-Throw Contest sponsored by St. Agnes Council of the Knights of Columbus at 2 p.m. in the Vermillion High School Gym. Open to boys and girls ages 9-14 years. First place prizes will be given out in each age group. For more information, contact Ray Hofman at 624-6457.
- JAN. 27 – Support group for caregivers of loved ones with Alzheimer’s or memory loss at 7 p.m., Vermillion Public Library. Contact Fern at 624-4898 or Marilyn at 934-2534 for more information.
- JAN. 29 – Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 W. Cherry St., from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Monday, Jan. 27.
- JAN. 29 – Adult program: Books in Context Linked Event: PBS Documentary (60 min.) “Underground Railroad: The William Still Story” at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library at 6 p.m.
- JAN. 29 – Adult program: Books in Context Discussion: “I’ve Got a Home in Glory Land: A Lost Tale of the Underground Railroad” by Karolyn Smardz Frost at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library at 7 p.m. Discussion facilitated by Sarah Lampert, Asst. Professor of History, USD.
- JAN. 20 – Kids After School at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library, “Science Club: Air!” at 3:45-5 p.m.
- FEB. 28 – “Wine with Will” fundraising event for 2014 SD Shakespeare Festival coming to Vermillion June 13-15. Enjoy wine tasting, live music and Shakespearean entertainment at “Wine with Will”, Friday, Feb. 28, 7 p.m. at John Day Gallery, Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts on USD campus. For ticket information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, June 22-Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Scandinavia Adult Tour-2014: tour will visit Bergan and Oslo, Norway, Copenhagen, Denmark, Stockholm, Sweden, Helsinki, Finland, Tallinn, Estonia, and conclude in St. Petersburg, Russia. Depart Sioux Falls on June 22 and return July 8, 2014. If interested, email: Lenni.Billberg@k12.sd.us or call (605) 670-2717
July 13- July 27, 2015
Best of South Africa tour: Africa Tour will visit The Gold Reef, The Panorama Route to Mpumalanga, Kruger National Park, The city of Johannesburg, and then fly to Cape Town. The tours are cultural, historical, and educational and will be guided by a local tour director. A safari game viewing tour will conclude the two week adventure. We are also doing some mission work with the village of Shangaan (educational and health) so if there are ministerial ideas (small new testament bibles… pencils, books) or health ideas (toothbrush, hygiene supplies) please contact me. Depart from Sioux Falls July 13 and return to Sioux Falls July 27. If interested, email: Carla.McMurry-Kozak@k12.sd.us or email@example.com
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber
Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A listing of events is also available at: www.vermillionchamber.com/calendar.php and includes
links to USD and Public School events.