Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Adult program: “Tech Session: Growing Business with Social Networking” with Mark Winegar at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library, Tuesday, Jan. 14, 7 p.m. Free and open to the public. You are welcome to bring your laptop, tablet, or smart phone. So many networks to choose from and so little time. What is a person to do? Take a rational look at social networks and selecting the right one for your business. Sponsored by the Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library and the Vermillion Area Chamber and Development Co. For more information, call the library at 677-7060 or visit www.vermillionpubliclibrary.org.
A ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held at Vermillion’s newest business, Maloney Real Estate, 108 E. Main St., on Thursday, Jan. 16 at 5 p.m. Everyone is invited to help welcome them to the community.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event. These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, contact Ann at email@example.com or at 624-5571.
FRIDAY, JAN. 10
- Bowling: Lincoln at 4 p.m. (H)
- Boys/Girls Basketball at 5 p.m. (T)
SATURDAY, JAN. 11
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- Wrestling: Brandon at 10:30 a.m. (T)
- Gymnastics: Stanley County at 11 a.m. (T)
- Adult program: “Craft Workshop: Beginning Crochet with Carol King,” at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library, 12:30-3:30 p.m. (Registration required – call or stop at the library.)
- USD Men’s Basketball vs. Denver at 4 p.m. at the DakotaDome.
SUNDAY, JAN. 12
- Sunday Brunch at the Main Street Center (320 W. Main St.) from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Egg bake, biscuits and gravy, fruit and beverages for $8/person (under 5 years free). Fund raising event for the Main Street Center.
- East River and Missouri Valley Bluegrass Music Association to feature “Monthly Open Jam” (second Sunday of each month) from 1-6 p.m. at Washington Street Arts Center, 202 Washington St. All levels welcome-open to pickers and listeners. Event is free and open to the public. For more information, call (877) 621-4118 (toll free).
MONDAY, JAN. 13
- Classes start at USD.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, JAN. 14
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
WEDNESDAY, JAN. 15
- Adult program: “Live and Learn: Winter Herbals” with Grace Freeman at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library at 7 p.m.
THURSDAY, JAN. 16
- Cancer Support Group meeting at 2:30 p.m., Sletwold Room at Trinity Lutheran Church, 816 E. Clark St. For more information, call Marcy at 624-8706.
- Kids After School at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library, “Crafty Creations: Birdfeeders,” 3:45-5 p.m.
- Vermillion Lions Club meeting, W. H. Over Museum in Sletwold Hall at 6 p.m.
- JAN. 18 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- JAN. 22 – Adult program: “Fine Fiction Book Club: The Snow Child: A Novel by Eowyn Ivey,” at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library at 7 p.m.
- JAN. 23 – Kids After School at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library, “Lego Club,” 3:45-5 p.m.
- JAN. 23 – Adult program: “Red Earth Co-op Film Series: Fresh” (72 min.) at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library at 7 p.m. Open to the public at no charge – child care provided.
- JAN. 25 – Teens Program at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library, “Mario Kart Tournament,” 2 p.m.
- JAN. 29 – Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP) at 1024 W. Cherry St., from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Monday, Jan. 27.
- JAN. 29 – Adult program: Books in Context Linked Event: PBS Documentary (60 min.) “Underground Railroad: The William Still Story” at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library at 6 p.m.
- JAN. 29 – Adult program: Books in Context Discussion: “I’ve Got a Home in Glory Land: A Lost Tale of the Underground Railroad” by Karolyn Smardz Frost at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library at 7 p.m. Discussion facilitated by Sarah Lampert, Assistant Professor of History, USD.
- JAN. 30 – Kids After School at Edith B. Siegrist Vermillion Public Library, “Science Club: Air,” 3:45-5 p.m.
- FEB. 28 – “Wine with Will” fundraising event for 2014 South Dakota Shakespeare Festival coming to Vermillion June 13-15. Enjoy wine tasting, live music and Shakespearean entertainment at “Wine with Will”, Friday, Feb. 28, 7 p.m. at John Day Gallery, Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts on USD campus. For ticket information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, June 22-Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Scandinavia Adult Tour-2014: tour will visit Bergan and Oslo, Norway, Copenhagen, Denmark, Stockholm, Sweden, Helsinki, Finland, Tallinn, Estonia, and conclude in St. Petersburg, Russia. Depart Sioux Falls on June 22 and return July 8, 2014. If interested, e-mail: Lenni.Billberg@k12.sd.us or call (605) 670-2717
July 13- July 27, 2015
Best of South Africa tour: Africa Tour will visit The Gold Reef, The Panorama Route to Mpumalanga, Kruger National Park, The city of Johannesburg, and then fly to Cape Town. The tours are cultural, historical, and educational and will be guided by a local tour director. A safari game viewing tour will conclude the two week adventure. We are also doing some mission work with the village of Shangaan (educational and health) so if there are ministerial ideas (small new testament bibles… pencils, books) or health ideas (toothbrush, hygiene supplies) please contact me. Depart from Sioux Falls July 13 and return to Sioux Falls July 27. If interested, e-mail: Carla.McMurry-Kozak@k12.sd.us or email@example.com
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber
Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A listing of events is also available at: www.vermillionchamber.com/calendar.php and includes
links to USD and Public School events.