Vermillion Area Chamber of Commerce
& Development Company
116 Market Street, Suite 103
Vermillion, SD 57069
Cracker Barrel sessions with our legislators will be:
- Saturday, Feb. 1 from 10 a.m. to noon at the City Hall Council Chambers at 25 Center St.
- Saturday, March 1 from 10 a.m. to noon at the City Hall Council Chambers at 25 Center St.
Please join District 17 Legislators, Senator Tom Jones and House Representatives Nancy Rasmussen and Ray Ring for an update on the 89th Legislative Session. Open to the public. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join us for some great discussion. Refreshments will be served. Sponsored by the VFW Auxiliary, Clay County Democrats, Clay County Republicans and the VCDC Legislative Affairs Committee.
The Vermillion Area Chamber and Development Company (VCDC) Annual Banquet and Vermillion NOW 2! campaign kickoff is Thursday, Feb. 6 at the Vermillion Event Center, 912 N Dakota St. The guest speaker is Brendan Johnson, United States Attorney. The social hour will begin at 5:30 p.m., followed by dinner and the program. It is a time to thank all of the members, individuals, and volunteers who support and contribute to the success of the chamber and business community through their membership and investment in Vermillion NOW. The banquet also gives us an opportunity to recognize the outstanding achievements of the community’s leaders and organizations by presenting the Family Business of the Year Award, the Mayor’s Community Service Award, the United Way Volunteer of the Year Award, the VCDC Community Leader Award, along with other awards. The banquet is open to the public and tickets are on sale for $30 each. For more information and to order your tickets, contact the VCDC at 116 Market St., (605) 624-5571. RSVP by Jan. 30.
Business After Hours: Are you looking for an opportunity to showcase your business and network with your peers? Sign up to host a Business After Hours event! These events generally run from 5-7 p.m. on a weeknight and the hosting business provides hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. If interested, please contact Ann at: email@example.com or at 624-5571.
LumoStudios and Gallery exhibit: due to popular demand and the past cold weather The ReDiscover Robert Aldern works on display at LumoStudios, 2 E. Main St., will be on display until Feb. 14. Hours: Wednesday-Saturday 1-5 p.m., and by appointment. Call (605) 624-9222 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Foundation seeks board members: The Clay-Union Foundation is seeking three adult males to join the board from Union County, and three females from Clay County. The board oversees the mentoring program and provides input on the overall program. Please contact John Gille at email@example.com or call (605) 421-5050 to apply.
FRIDAY, JAN. 31
- NMM Live! Brown Bag Lunch Program featuring T. Wilson King, guitar, at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and Open to the public.
- Debate: Yankton at 2 p.m. (T)
- Open House in honor of Gary Marshall’s retirement, 3 p.m.-6 p.m. at Kalin’s Indoor Comfort, 610 Cottage Ave.
- Bowling: West Central (H) Yankton Family Fun Center at 4 p.m.
SATURDAY, FEB. 1
- Debate: Yankton at 8 a.m. (T)
- TBA – Show Choir: Omaha (T)
- Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- Cracker Barrel session with our legislators will be from 10 a.m. to noon at the City Hall Council Chambers at 25 Center St. Please join District 17 Legislators, Senator Tom Jones and House Representatives Nancy Rasmussen and Ray Ring for an update on the 89th Legislative Session. Open to the public. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join us for some great discussion. Refreshments will be served. Sponsored by the VFW Auxiliary, Clay County Democrats, Clay County Republicans, and the VCDC Legislative Affairs Committee.
- Girls Basketball: Madison at 11 a.m. (T)
- Men’s Basketball vs. South Dakota State at 4 p.m. at the DakotaDome.
MONDAY, FEB. 3
- NHS Welcome Table at VHS at 4 p.m.
- 7/8th Grade Boys Basketball vs. Elk Point/Jefferson (away), TBA.
- Gymnastics: Wagner/West Central at 6 p.m. (H)
- Duo Piano Recital: Guest Artists Linda Christensen and Philip Pfaltzgraff, 7:30 p.m., Colton Recital Hall located in Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts on USD campus. Open to the public at no charge.
- Al-anon meeting at 7:30 p.m. at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. For more information, call 624-9764.
TUESDAY, FEB. 4
- Vermillion Rotary Club meeting from noon-1 p.m. in the Freedom Forum Conference room of the Al Neuharth Media Center. For more information, visit www.vermillionrotaryclub.org.
THURSDAY, FEB. 6
- Vermillion Lions Club meeting at W.H. Over Museum in Sletwold Hall at 6 p.m.
- FEB. 7 – NMM Live!: Brown Bag Lunch Program featuring Stephanie Kocher, USD and Christy Beard, University of Nebraska, Omaha, 7 at 12:05 p.m. at the National Music Museum located on USD campus, corner of Clark and Yale streets. Free and Open to the public.
- FEB. 7-28 – The 27th Annual Stilwell Student Juried Exhibition featuring works of art produced by students at John A. Day Gallery in the Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts on USD campus. The public is invited to the opening of the show and awards night on Feb. 7 at 5 p.m.
- FEB. 8 – Sanford Vermillion Community Health and Wellness Fair, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at Lee Medical Building, USD campus (corner of Clark and Dakota streets). Visit sanfordvermillion.org for more details or call (605) 624-2611. Both free and minimal charge screenings available to public as well as family fun, information and activities.
- FEB. 8 – Overeaters Anonymous at 9 a.m. Location: Sanford Vermillion Medical Center, 20 S. Plum St., administration entrance just south of the hospital entrance in the board room.
- FEB. 10 – First Dakota National Bank hosts “Agrivisions 2014” at Best Western Kelly Inn, 1607 E. Hwy. 50, Yankton at 7 p.m. Farmers, agri-business professionals and business owners are invited to attend. Featured speaker: Dr. Jason Henderson, of Purdue University. Registration from 6:30-7 p.m. followed by presentation. To reserve a seat, call, (605) 665-4904 or (800) 657-5826.
- FEB. 11 – President’s Research Roundtable: Research and scholarly activity are integral to the University of South Dakota’s mission and are part of the daily academic life of faculty and students. To encourage an open dialog among faculty and administration regarding research, the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs will host the President’s Research Roundtable, a campus discussion about USD’s research initiatives. The event, planned by a faculty committee, will be held from 4-5 p.m. in the Neuharth Media Center conference room. For more information or to submit a question for discussion, go to http://www.usd.edu/research/research-and-sponsored-programs/presidents-research-roundtable.cfm.
- FEB. 18 – Citizens Academy: The City of Vermillion will be hosting a Citizens Academy for interested Vermillion residents over the age of 18. The Citizens Academy is a free, hands-on, interactive public information program that allows citizens an insight into city services and the functions of city departments. All sessions, unless otherwise noted, will start at 5:30 p.m. During the course, several sessions will meet away from City Hall at different department sites. The class will graduate with a certificate in “Governmentology” and a key to the city upon successful completion of the program. Class size is limited. Applications are available at City Hall or online at www.vermillion.us.
- FEB. 28 – The Department of Labor and Regulation will be hosting a Job Search Assistance Program (JSAP), 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at 1024 West Cherry Street. The JSAP is a free workshop for people recovering from job loss or enhancing their job search skills. Trained instructors speak on modern-day techniques used to successfully find employment. Topics covered are resume and cover letter writing, interviewing etiquette, networking effectively, using social media and much more. Parties interested in attending should register by calling (605) 677-6900 before 5 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 26.
“Wine with Will” fundraising event for 2014 SD Shakespeare Festival coming to Vermillion June 13-15. Enjoy wine tasting, live music and Shakespearean entertainment at “Wine with Will”, Friday, Feb. 28, 7 p.m. at John Day Gallery, Warren M. Lee Center for Fine Arts on USD campus. For ticket information, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, March 1
Cracker Barrel session with our Legislators will be Saturday, March 1 from 10 a.m. to noon at the City Hall Council Chambers at 25 Center St. Please join District 17 Legislators, Senator Tom Jones and House Representatives Nancy Rasmussen and Ray Ring for an update on the 89th Legislative Session. Open to the public. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join us for some great discussion. Refreshments will be served. Sponsored by the VFW Auxiliary, Clay County Democrats, Clay County Republicans, and the VCDC Legislative Affairs Committee.
Friday, June 20
Dalesburg Midsummer Festival – A Celebration of Scandinavian and Rural Heritage – at Dalesburg Lutheran Church, 30595 University Road, rural Vermillion. For information, visit: www.dalesburg.org or call (605) 253-2575.
Sunday, June 22-Tuesday, July 8, 2014
Scandinavia Adult Tour-2014: tour will visit Bergan and Oslo, Norway, Copenhagen, Denmark, Stockholm, Sweden, Helsinki, Finland, Tallinn, Estonia, and conclude in St. Petersburg, Russia. Depart Sioux Falls on June 22 and return July 8, 2014. If interested, e-mail: Lenni.Billberg@k12.sd.us or call (605) 670-2717
July 13-July 27, 2015
Best of South Africa tour: Africa Tour will visit The Gold Reef, The Panorama Route to Mpumalanga, Kruger National Park, The city of Johannesburg, and then fly to Cape Town. The tours are cultural, historical, and educational and will be guided by a local tour director. A safari game viewing tour will conclude the two week adventure. We are also doing some mission work with the village of Shangaan (educational and health) so if there are ministerial ideas (small new testament bibles. pencils, books) or health ideas (toothbrush, hygiene supplies) please contact me. We depart from Sioux Falls on July 13 and return to Sioux Falls on July 27. If interested, e-mail: Carla.McMurry-Kozak@k12.sd.us or email@example.com
Does your business or organization have an event you would like included in the Chamber
Chat? If you do please call us at 624-5571 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A listing of events is also available at: www.vermillionchamber.com/calendar.php and includes
links to USD and Public School events.