Propane heater cause of garage fire

By Travis Gulbrandson travis.gulbrandson@plaintalk.net Vermillion firefighters worked three hours to extinguish a garage fire north of town Tuesday night. According to Fire Chief Shannon Draper, the fire started when a propane space heater was either tipped over, or knocked over by a car that had just parked in the garage, … Read Article

Leap in technology helps firemen cut through smoke

Vermillion Fire Department members utilize new thermal cameras to see through the smoke and get a reading of fire temperature at the Ivan Pierce Fire Training Center.
(Photo courtesy of the Vermillion Fire Department)

              By Travis Gulbrandson travis.gulbrandson@plaintalk.net Thanks to advances in technology, the Vermillion Fire Department is able to better respond to and deal with fire-related emergencies. Through a variety of funding sources, the department has two new thermal cameras for use at the scene of … Read Article

Smoke detector credited with saving Vermillion man

By Travis Gulbrandson travis.gulbrandson@plaintalk.net Officials are crediting hardwired smoke detectors with saving the life of a Vermillion man when a fire consumed most of his trailer Oct. 31. The elderly man awoke shortly before 8 a.m. that day when the hardwired smoke detector in his bedroom went off. “That’s a … Read Article